• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Odometer Fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

katya12

What is the name of your state? SC

I bought a used 2000 Chevy Prizm last June from a private dealer. Before I bought it, I got a Carfax which stated that it had 42,597 miles on 3-16-04. The dealer reported in the sales documents that it had 44,405 miles when I bought it. This seemed to be accurate to me at the time.

He also had recently bought new tires for the car and gave me sales receipts so I could use the warranty to get the tires rotated and aligned. I didn't look at them at the time and just put them in my glove compartment.

This weekend, I got a flat tire and took out the receipts from Sears to see if the warranty covered road hazards. On the receipts, it states that the mileage for the car was 147,950 on 3-29-04. To me, it seems clear that the dealer somehow tampered with the digital odometer.

I bought the car for $4650 and according to Kelley's blue book it is worth between $3230 and $4315 with 147,950 miles. So, I did not overpay by much. I just do not like being lied to.

My question is - what do I do about it? Do I contact the dealer and threaten to report him for odometer fraud? Or do I go ahead and contact the attorney general's office or the consumer protection department? Or do I just let it go because it would be too much trouble, even if it means the guy gets away with it?

I would appreciate any advice or assistance. Thanks.

You Are Guilty

katya12 said:
What is the name of your state? SC

I bought a used 2000 Chevy Prizm last June from a private dealer. Before I bought it, I got a Carfax which stated that it had 42,597 miles on 3-16-04. The dealer reported in the sales documents that it had 44,405 miles when I bought it. This seemed to be accurate to me at the time.

He also had recently bought new tires for the car and gave me sales receipts so I could use the warranty to get the tires rotated and aligned. I didn't look at them at the time and just put them in my glove compartment.

This weekend, I got a flat tire and took out the receipts from Sears to see if the warranty covered road hazards. On the receipts, it states that the mileage for the car was 147,950 on 3-29-04. To me, it seems clear that the dealer somehow tampered with the digital odometer.

I bought the car for $4650 and according to Kelley's blue book it is worth between $3230 and $4315 with 147,950 miles. So, I did not overpay by much. I just do not like being lied to.

My question is - what do I do about it? Do I contact the dealer and threaten to report him for odometer fraud? Or do I go ahead and contact the attorney general's office or the consumer protection department? Or do I just let it go because it would be too much trouble, even if it means the guy gets away with it?

I would appreciate any advice or assistance. Thanks.
Before I go insane, let me doublecheck - the entire basis of your belief (opinion, subjective thought) that your car now has 100,000 more miles on it than you thought is because of a receipt from SEARS?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">