• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

only had the car for 3 weeks now needs a new engine

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blynn89

I live in Connecticut, My fiancee,our 3 yr old son, 3 friends and I all went to go and look at a 94 Acura Integra on May 7th 2011. Everything seemed great the couple that was selling the car said that they had it for about 5 years reason for selling it was cause he was on workers comp and needed the money to pay bills, they also said they had done a lot of work to it, some of the things they said that they did was put a different engine into with about 89,000 miles on it, they have painted the car like 6 different colors over a period of time and that they have put a shift kit in it. All the wires inside was cut the power door looks and power windows didn't work so we had to touch 2 sets of wires together to roll the windows up and down. there was no radio and they also cut the remote car starter out and put in a car alarm that we have to plug in to turn it on. the entire car is a mess i knew that we would have to fix those problems which i didn't have a problem with. the guy said that the only thing that it needed was CV joints which was Okay with me but other then that the rest of it was in good running condition.

Once it was time to fill out the paperwork the girl said she couldn't find the title but had the old registration with a bill of sales the info on the registration matched her drivers license and she also gave me a receipt with the amount paid for his and her name and showing we paid cash there is nothing saying we bought it "As Is". Once we left with the car we had it parked for a week so on Saturday May 14th we called them and brought them to AAA to fill out the paperwork for a title search in front of a notary and left from there to the DMV and was able to register the car in my name and to turn in the title search paperwork.

We had the car on the road for about 4 days and took it to my brother in laws shop so he can replace the CV joints he had said that we also need control arm bushings and the tie rods needed to be replace. we have noticed that for a 4cyl. it sucked up a hole lot of gas and oil but we didn't have an oil leak.

On May 22nd we were on our way to take my son to the fair a few towns over and noticed that there was a loud knocking coming from the front end so we pulled over and checked it couldn't pin point the exact place. We were about 10 to 15 feet away from the fair when the car started to over heat and shut right down. We sat there for about 5 hours trying to get the car to start back up but it wouldn't so we called a friend to have it towed back home. Once we got it home we parked it in a spot and went out the next morning to start it and it fired right over but there was a loud knock or pinging coming from the engine. We had a friend come over to look at it and they said that it was a lifter, valve, or bearing, there was gas in our oil and it seemed like its been going on for awhile, there was oil in one of our spark plug housings. In short terms we need to replace the engine. We have tried calling both of the numbers we have for the couple and either they changed their numbers or they really didn't use the money to pay the bills like they said.

So my question is, Is there anyway I can take them to court to get half or all my money back to pay me back for the money i put into already and to pay for a new engine?

I bought the car for $1,240
The cost to rebuild the engine is going to be anywhere $1,000 and $3,000
A used engine from a scrap yard is between $300 and $1,000What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Antigone*

I live in Connecticut, My fiancee,our 3 yr old son, 3 friends and I all went to go and look at a 94 Acura Integra on May 7th 2011. Everything seemed great the couple that was selling the car said that they had it for about 5 years reason for selling it was cause he was on workers comp and needed the money to pay bills, they also said they had done a lot of work to it, some of the things they said that they did was put a different engine into with about 89,000 miles on it, they have painted the car like 6 different colors over a period of time and that they have put a shift kit in it. All the wires inside was cut the power door looks and power windows didn't work so we had to touch 2 sets of wires together to roll the windows up and down. there was no radio and they also cut the remote car starter out and put in a car alarm that we have to plug in to turn it on. the entire car is a mess i knew that we would have to fix those problems which i didn't have a problem with. the guy said that the only thing that it needed was CV joints which was Okay with me but other then that the rest of it was in good running condition.

Once it was time to fill out the paperwork the girl said she couldn't find the title but had the old registration with a bill of sales the info on the registration matched her drivers license and she also gave me a receipt with the amount paid for his and her name and showing we paid cash there is nothing saying we bought it "As Is". Once we left with the car we had it parked for a week so on Saturday May 14th we called them and brought them to AAA to fill out the paperwork for a title search in front of a notary and left from there to the DMV and was able to register the car in my name and to turn in the title search paperwork.

We had the car on the road for about 4 days and took it to my brother in laws shop so he can replace the CV joints he had said that we also need control arm bushings and the tie rods needed to be replace. we have noticed that for a 4cyl. it sucked up a hole lot of gas and oil but we didn't have an oil leak.

On May 22nd we were on our way to take my son to the fair a few towns over and noticed that there was a loud knocking coming from the front end so we pulled over and checked it couldn't pin point the exact place. We were about 10 to 15 feet away from the fair when the car started to over heat and shut right down. We sat there for about 5 hours trying to get the car to start back up but it wouldn't so we called a friend to have it towed back home. Once we got it home we parked it in a spot and went out the next morning to start it and it fired right over but there was a loud knock or pinging coming from the engine. We had a friend come over to look at it and they said that it was a lifter, valve, or bearing, there was gas in our oil and it seemed like its been going on for awhile, there was oil in one of our spark plug housings. In short terms we need to replace the engine. We have tried calling both of the numbers we have for the couple and either they changed their numbers or they really didn't use the money to pay the bills like they said.

So my question is, Is there anyway I can take them to court to get half or all my money back to pay me back for the money i put into already and to pay for a new engine?

I bought the car for $1,240
The cost to rebuild the engine is going to be anywhere $1,000 and $3,000
A used engine from a scrap yard is between $300 and $1,000What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
The car had all those problems and you still purchased it:eek:. You got what you paid for.

The sale was an as-is sale. Enjoy your new car.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
No. You were well aware of multiple problems with the car and bought it as-is anyway. Consider it an expensive lesson learned.

xylene

You can get an Acura Integra engine for 300 -1000 Bucks? ;) (Hint that is good price)

And you got the car for $1300.

I'm still not convinced you got a bad deal.

selling it was cause he was on workers comp and needed the money to pay bills, they also said they had done a lot of work to it, some of the things

Red flag right there .... needed money to may mechanics bills on the car they are selling?

Anyway, you bought a car for low cost & its not panning out for you. Sell the car. Someone will buy it.

Then go buy yourself another car.

Good luck, you have no recourse with the previous seller.

Indiana Filer

If you have a friend who is a mechanic, why didn't you take him with you when you looked at the car before buying? It's always advisable to take a mechanic to look at a used car before purchase.

sandyclaus

A private party used car sale is assumed to be AS-IS unless the seller provides you with a WRITTEN warranty or guarantee of fitness. Nothing in writing, no guarantee, and you get what you get.

Because it was an AS-IS sale, you, as the buyer, are responsible for verifying the condition of the vehicle before purchase. This is done by having YOUR OWN mechanic give the car a thorough inspection, noting any issues for you so that you can make an informed decision on whether or not to buy and whether or not the asking price is fair. Trust me, these days a LOT of people are selling off their mechanically troubled vehicles for extra cash, and if you don't make the effort to have the car inspected, you can't complain about issues that come up. Even when the seller TELLS you that everything runs fine, you can't know for sure unless an unbiased expert tells you so. "If it ain't in writing, it never happened."

Since you did not have the vehicle inspected, you took the seller at their word that the car was in decent condition. You accepted the vehicle AS-IS. I agree with the prior poster. There were a lot of red flags in play before you decided to buy the car. I would not have purchased unless I knew for sure what mechanical condition it was in. Unfortunately, your failure to fully inspect the vehicle first means that you have no recourse against the seller now. Any repairs are 100% your own responsibility.

Enjoy the new car.

Isis1

Red flag right there .... needed money to may mechanics bills on the car they are selling?
Anyway, you bought a car for low cost & its not panning out for you. Sell the car. Someone will buy it.

Then go buy yourself another car.

Good luck, you have no recourse with the previous seller.
your inability to read is amazing! they did not say they had to pay mechanic bills. they said to pay bills. they also said the previous owners had work done on it. how you got mechanic bills in that sentence is astounding!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">