• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

:( pissed of because i bought a faulty car,

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

only1kali

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
I currently live in the state of oregon and here is my problem. :(

I recently bought a car and yes i bought it "as is". but the car looked extremely fine when i took it for a test drive. so i signed the contracts and i was on my way out when i reached my house the car had died, i was think it might have been something i did then that made the car turn off. so i continued and turned the car back on it was working an i parked inside my. A day after that i took for a spin to my friends house to show it off, and the car died when i pulled at an intersection *embarrassing* but the car started again fine and kept on doing it every time near a stop and or intersection so i spoke to the dealer and he says there's nothing they can do. okay but yet i didnt buy this car in cash i only financed it, so the lender calls me and i tell her " I am having a problem with the cars, can i settle this down first." she says "Yes" I got busy with work and sure enough the dealer calls me and says "hey dude we haven't received any payments for the lender, are you still having issues with the car?" i say "yes and that why you havent received any money." he said "bring it down to us and we'll take a look at it" I take the car to drive it all the way across the city and for the to look at first off they didnt even look at the car fully, secondly they cleared the CODE for check engine sign, and all they told me what " You have to call your lender and tell them this in order for us to help, you have to tell her YOUR HAPPY WITH US, AND YOU CAR IS WORKING FINE, AND YOU DRIVE IT EVERYDAY" < I got all that in recording too. that seams suspicious enough already. he's like " well i cant really help you with out receiving any sort of payment." What should i do in this case, i would love to go get a real lawyer because this is endangering my life and others. What is my next step i can take? i need help.. Thank you guys for you time in an advance.

justalayman

did you have a mechanic look at it prior to purchase?

was the check engine light on when you test drive it/purchased it?

what is the year and mileage of the vehicle?

only1kali

I didn't check the car, I took the dealers word for it, and a test drive that was good. So I assumed it was perfect. But I was mistaken! The check engine light was off when I was buying it. But as soon as I got on the hwy to go home it turned on. That same day! And it is my first time buying a car!

only1kali

Oh the car is 1996 Nissan maxima gxe with 169990 miles on.. I need help, I don't know what to do now. I can tell the dealer is pushing me to finalize the purchase with the lender!

Last edited:

ecmst12

This is 100% you being dumb. You probably paid too much for it, too, since you financed it. Enjoy your new car.

justalayman

well, it's beyond any warranty of any sort I am aware of.

The only thing you might be able to do is:

if you can get an independent mechanic to check out your car, if the check engine light had been on and the dealer cleared the codes so it would not be on when you drove it, you might be able to argue the dealers representation of the car was fraudulent. That could give you a basis for a suit.

While an as is car is as is, if the seller intentionally alters the vehicle to hide a defect, that is something very different.

Other than that, it's your car.

jiggy78

You "assumed" a 16 year old car with 170,000 miles was "perfect"? It doesn't sound like you are knowledgeable enough to purchase a used car.

OHRoadwarrior

The first thing you need to do is get a mechanic to tell you what is wrong and how much it will cost to fix. Until you do this, you have no idea what the situation entials.

only1kali

ecmst12: Thanks for that great sarcasm/advice.

justalayman: what am trying to do right now is get him to guarantee in recording or get him to agree that he sold me a faulty car an that they altered with it to sell it. will that make a case, even the fact that he's trying to rush me to call the lender so that I can tell them "the car is fine, am using it now, and am happy with the dealerships service! " that part I got in recording. But am trying to see if I can build a strong winnable case! Thank you btw!

jiggy78: this is my first car Ive purchased or still am, everyone had made mistakes not necessarily in buying a car.. So cut me a little slack I made the mistake of purchasing a car from "uncertified dealer" and I trust them.. Guess what lesson learned. Am just trying to reverse the situation right now dude.

OHRoadwarrior: been there done that. This is my mechanic told me, cost roughly $600
What it needs:
*tune-up
*MAP sensor 2x
*O2 sensor
Check engine light is on for 4th gear incorrect ratio or something like that. I am confused and pissed!!

justalayman

justalayman: what am trying to do right now is get him to guarantee in recording or get him to agree that he sold me a faulty car an that they altered with it to sell it. will that make a case, even the fact that he's trying to rush me to call the lender so that I can tell them "the car is fine, am using it now, and am happy with the dealerships service! " that part I got in recording. But am trying to see if I can build a strong winnable case! Thank you btw!

165.540 Obtaining contents of communications. (1) Except as otherwise provided in ORS 133.724 or 133.726 or subsections (2) to (7) of this section, a person may not:
(c) Obtain or attempt to obtain the whole or any part of a conversation by means of any device, contrivance, machine or apparatus, whether electrical, mechanical, manual or otherwise, if not all participants in the conversation are specifically informed that their conversation is being obtained.
(d) Obtain the whole or any part of a conversation, telecommunication or radio communication from any person, while knowing or having good reason to believe that the conversation, telecommunication or radio communication was initially obtained in a manner prohibited by this section.
(e) Use or attempt to use, or divulge to others, any conversation, telecommunication or radio communication obtained by any means prohibited by this section.
(6) The prohibitions in subsection (1)(c) of this section do not apply to persons who intercept or attempt to intercept with an unconcealed recording device the oral communications that are part of any of the following proceedings:

(c) Private meetings or conferences if all others involved knew or reasonably should have known that the recording was being made.
You might want to think twice about recording anything without their permission.

Mass_Shyster

so the lender calls me and i tell her " I am having a problem with the cars, can i settle this down first." she says "Yes"
and all they told me what " You have to call your lender and tell them this in order for us to help, you have to tell her YOUR HAPPY WITH US, AND YOU CAR IS WORKING FINE, AND YOU DRIVE IT EVERYDAY"
It sounds like the dealer may have a history with this lender, since the lender called to ask if everything is OK.

I suggest you call the dealer and inform him that you will NOT call the lender and say that the car is working fine until the car is actually working fine, and ask if he wants to do anything about it.

OHRoadwarrior

Failed shift solenoid, defective wiring to shift solenoid or a defective PCM or hydraulic control valve body. All parts are located inside the transmission except the PCM and the external part of the wiring harness. (Dennis Weid)
You have a major expense here it appears. The only grounds you have to push this with the dealer, unless the lender backs you, is for false advertising or failure to provide a Buyers Guide with the vehicle. Oregon does not have a used vehicle lemon law.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">