• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Private car sales, buyer wants to return

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

JMR85

California

My husband and I sold our 2003 VW Jetta last weekend, the guy test drove the vehicle and then had his father in law come down with a check to purchase the vehicle for $2200 which was $300 under the price we were asking. We let them know that we've never changed the timing belt and he said he would have his mechanic take a look at everything. The car had 140,000 miles on it so obviously its not going to be perfect and we never implied it was. Well we get a call 4 days later from the father in law saying it needed a bunch of work done which was going to cost $3900, and he wanted to return the car. Another thing, we made the mistake of not knowing we had to provide a smog certificate when selling a car in california. We told the guy we werent responsible for anything other than the car passing smog. We told him to bring the car by and we would fix whatever was stopping the car from passing smog. He's now threatening to sue us. I don't feel we did anything wrong besides the car not being smogged which we said we would fix. I guess my question is can he actually sue us for this?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">