• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

private party car sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sarahx12y

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

I sold my car after putting an add on Craigslist but couldn't find title when buyers arrived. We made verbal agreement to meet at dmv following day to get title transferred. We made a brief bill of sale stating that I was selling them my car for $900 on that date and we each signed our name. The buyers then gave me $900 and drove car away.

The next morning the buyers drove car back to my house demanding I give them their money back bc they didn't want car. I had already spent money so what am I legally obligated to do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Banned_Princess

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? MN

I sold my car after putting an add on Craigslist but couldn't find title when buyers arrived. We made verbal agreement to meet at dmv following day to get title transferred. We made a brief bill of sale stating that I was selling them my car for $900 on that date and we each signed our name. The buyers then gave me $900 and drove car away.

The next morning the buyers drove car back to my house demanding I give them their money back bc they didn't want car. I had already spent money so what am I legally obligated to do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
they dont get to get their money back.

the sale is final.

did you give them a title that they signed? did you guys get to the dmv?

sarahx12y

I still can't find the title so no they never signed one and no we never made it to a dmv. They continue to demand their money back and threaten to sue me even though they agreed to purchase car w/out title and knew I would send it to them when I found it.

sarahx12y

What's my next step? They are driving around in a car in my name and refuse to sign a title or give me their drivers licence number .

Kiawah

If you legitimately/legally own the vehicle, then just go to DMV and get a replacement title issued to you.

If you are trying to sell property you don't own and/or is stolen, then that's a totally different problem you got yourself into.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">