• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Puppy Lemon Law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

toshiro

What is the name of your state? Texas

I live in Austin. I purchased a puppy from a breeder I found online. He is located in Dodd City, TX. He stated that he would warranty the puppy for one year, replacing the puppy if it was found to have "congenital" defects.

Long story short, the puppy died within 2 weeks. The vet stated that he believed the death was a result of Porto-Systemic Shunt of the liver, a congenital defect. The vet was 99% certain this was the cause (actually 2 seperate vets had treated the puppy and both felt this was the cause), however the only way to know for certain at this point is to perform an autopsy, and we cannot afford that, financially or emotionally at this point, nor do we think that should be necessary.

We notified the breeder. He was at first sympathetic and advised as long as we got it in writing from the vet he would replace our puppy (though we would rather get a refund, as liver shunt is a genetic disorder, so we have little confidence in the quality of his dogs). We got the note in writing, it explained everything completely. We faxed it to him yesterday. He confirmed that he had received it. However he has not yet responded to repeated emails since then.

It is not confirmed yet whether he will be honorable or not, however my faith is diminishing rapidly. If he was a good reputable guy he would not be taking so long to reply to me, therefore it seems the only concern he has is for his own a$$.

I am looking for any possible avenues of recourse I can take. Small claims court will definately be one, though I don't know much about it. BBB complaint is a thought, though it probably won't do much, as well as AG and CPA complaints. I also plan to spread the story as far and wide as possible - any advice or legal implications involved?

I know some states have a Puppy Lemon Law for this situation, however Texas is not one of them. Can someone give advice as to what people to contact to attempt to have some legislation like this introduced?

Your advice is appreciated!!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">