• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Puppy Lemon Law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

monriller

What is the name of your state?Kentucky

Hello,
I went to a pet store to look for some fish and my children noticed that there were some puppies over in a cage and they HAD to go look at them. We looked at them and I fell in love with a chihuahua girl we later named Sadie. I didn't leave the store with her that night because of practical reasons (500 practical ones). But all throughout the week all my kids and I could talk about was the little chihuahua that we had seen. So a few days later we went back to see if they still had her and the owner of the pet shop was there and he and his wife had the chihuahua out and were trying to get her to playdue to the fact she was the only one in the case that wouldn't play. I told them that we wanted her but just couldn't afford it and he said he would work something out with us. We decided to take her home and she just wasn't acting right so we called the owner and told him about it. He said it was probally due to the fact that she was in a new enviroment and she would be okay. The next morning I woke up to let her out to potty and found her shaking on her back with her eyes rolled back in her head. The first thing I did was took her to the 24 hour emergency clinic in my area. They said she was Hypoglycemic and to give her Karo sp? syrup and she would be okay. Well we did that and she still would just lay there and cry. She never got up and did anything she wouldn't eat or drink. Later on that night we took her to the vet again because she was real lathargic and still not eating or drinking anything and still not using the bathroom. The vet said they were going to administer and IV and check her out so we needed to leave her overnight. Well upon me and my husband arriving home the phone rang only to hear "I am so sorry, but Sadie has died". I couldn't say or do anything I hung up without saying anything this dog I had only had 3 days but I had seen suffering so bad and everything we tried to do didn't work. We called the owner and told him that the vet suspected Liver Shunt. He was so sorry and couldn't appologize more because of how hurt we were. I have a mentally challenged son who gets attached VERY easily and the owner knew that was one of the biggest reasons we got Sadie. So he apologized and offered to pay the vet bills which at that point were 250.00 + 75.00 emergency fee plus the 50.00 visit earlier that day to give her Karo syrup. He said he wanted to "make it right" he told my husband because he knew the situation and that our 3 kids were devastated so he offered us another dog which we initially said NO to because we felt even though we only had her 3 days she was not replaceable. After a few days my son kept asking about Sadie (he doesn't understand death due to the fact he's mentally challenged) so my husband called the owner and said will you take the dogs that we were going to look at to the vet and make sure they were okay and he said he would do that. Well we went tolook at what he had brought in which were 4 Chihuahua boys and after about 2 hours of looking and playing with them we decided to take home the white/tan chihuahua which we called Cory. Well we took him directly to the vet because upon getting him home he started to act just like Sadie and we just couldn't do that to our kids again and found out that this dog was also sick with Coccidia ( thats what they suspect it is) and if he doesn't get any better in a few days then he has to be tested for something else. It's been almost a week now and he still is sick and we called him during this and he "Acted" concerned about Cory's well being but when we mentioned the vet bills for Sadie and now the other vet bills that we are currently inccuring on Cory he just said "we can try and work something out"? I just want to know what I can do and what rights do I have and also isn't there any regulations on pet stores to make sure these babies are healthy? I don't want to loose this dog like I lost the other one. I can't afford it and I borrowed some of the money for the Emergency vet (Have to pay them up front) from my parents. I just don't know what to do and what my rights are. Please help us as the vet said yesterday that Cory isn't even out of the woods yet and I am still incurring bills on him. Thank you so much

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">