• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchase of a used vehicle before it was smogged

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Clipamyla

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
I purchased an old used vehicle from my mechanic who said he would make sure it got smogged it and I know I should not have bought it without it being smogged first but we were desperate for wheels (lesson learned). I keep taking it back to him to smog it and codes keep appearing that he says mean I just need to drive it some more after he tweaks things a bit. I know it's because he doesn't want to put money into it but it's getting old and it's really inconvenient. I've paid all registration fee's but can't get the tags until it passes smog. The car runs well and I'm happy with it other the smog thing. I bought it 5 months ago from him and I'm fed up and frustrated. Should I just walk away and pay an honest mechanic to smog it (I'm thinking it's gonna be expensive-catalytic converter maybe) and chalk it up to a hard lesson learned? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">