• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchased a Mustang - it seems it was reconstructed?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

aalexan1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Michigan

I purchased a Mustang from a private dealership about 6-8 months ago.

I'm being told by a shop, that it seems like the entire thing seems to have been put back together.

I was never informed about this - I believe from what I was reading, that under Michigan law, it's a requirement to let an individual know if there's any major issue with a car?

I asked if it had been in an accident, they told me, "dings and scrapes maybe". I asked if it was a clean title, and they said, "yes".

Is it possible to have a clean title and have the car be, "put back together" according to what the mechanic said?

swalsh411

Prove they knew about it when they sold you the car.

Why didn't you have it inspected prior to purchase?

Enjoy your new car.

aalexan1

Really? I was under the impression that Michigan had a relatively strict lemon law and that a dealership was required to disclose things.

sandyclaus

Really? I was under the impression that Michigan had a relatively strict lemon law and that a dealership was required to disclose things.
Lemon laws generally refer to NEW vehicles, and not used vehicles. Michigan's Lemon Law is no exception.

If the vehicle was pieced together, as you claim, it would have had a Salvage title or a Rebuilt/Rebuilt Salvage title. If it didn't when you purchased it from the dealer, it's because it probably came with a standard title from whomever they obtained the vehicle. Not all used vehicle dealers do a thorough inspection on the vehicles before reselling. It's entirely possible the former owner was taken at their word, or more likely that the dealer just didn't want to know - because it would given then plausible deniability if an issue came up.

All of this is the very reason why, if the vehicle doesn't come with a specific WRITTEN warranty or guarantee of fitness, that you should ALWAYS have a full mechanical and structural inspection performed on that vehicle prior to purchasing. Otherwise, it becomes an "As Is" sale, and you take the car as you find it with no recourse against the seller. Having that inspection done after the fact does you no good.

justalayman

So far you have nothing but speculation. When you get some proof there was subterfuge, come on back and explain what you have.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">