• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchased a used car in Alaska

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

akbadcar

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Alaska

I traded in a used car on the one I have now back in October- I asked about the sunroof as it was having an issue closing and the dealership told me that they would have it fixed no problem. I had them put this in writing, so naturally it did get fixed. But the repair took 52 days to complete. I've had the car back about 3 weeks now, so a little over 30 days in my possession. Since I've taken it back the heater, transmission, and front end have had issues that I've yet to get a quote on because I'm trying not to drive it before I decide to take any action.

The dealership I bought it from says all their cars in inspected- and AK state law says that used car dealers are required to do a reasonable inspection of the car, and if anything is found or suspected they must do an indepth inspection of the car.

I declined the offered service contract, on the grounds that the car was represented as being in good working condition and that the cost of the contract was prohibitive ($3000) vs paying for repairs on a car in good condition... but there is still an implied warranty according to the UCC that says the car must be free of serious defects at the time of sale.

Basically what I'm asking is that if I can take it to a mechanic and get a statement that says this car had/has defects, and wasn't reasonably inspected, do I have a good case to sue the dealership and get the car replaced/refunded/repaired?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

swalsh411

No. You should have had the car inspected by your own mechanic prior to purchase. Other than what you got in writing the sale was "as-is".

This comes up several times a week here. Do you actually believe the dealer does a complete inspection on every single used vehicle on their lot? They don't and there are two main reasons for that. First, those inspections are expensive and they make a lot more money when their employees are repairing cars for customers who will pay for the repairs. Secondly, if they don't know about a problem then they can honestly say they didn't know about it. If they inspect a vehicle, discover a problem, then they either need to fix it, disclose it, or lie to the customer. Much better from their perspective to not know about it to begin with.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">