• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

purchased used car with no issues, Check engine lit before the first ride home!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dosmastr

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hi Everybody,

I purchased a car that looked good and was advertised as having no malfunction lamps illuminated. Test drove just fine.

Signed all the papers, added to insurance, shook hands, but on the drive home the check engine light and other malfunction lights turned on.

The seller stated the car has a new battery, but this also means the computer was reset and any errors cleared.

What rights do I have as I do now own the car but it appears it was misrepresented?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

Hi Everybody,

I purchased a car that looked good and was advertised as having no malfunction lamps illuminated. Test drove just fine.

Signed all the papers, added to insurance, shook hands, but on the drive home the check engine light and other malfunction lights turned on.

The seller stated the car has a new battery, but this also means the computer was reset and any errors cleared.

What rights do I have as I do now own the car but it appears it was misrepresented?
Did you purchase your used car from a used car dealer or from a private party?

Did you have the car inspected by your own mechanic prior to purchase?

Did you get gas after your purchase? Sometimes check engine lights come on when gas caps are not secured properly.

New Jersey does have a lemon law that covers used cars (not all states do) but the law applies only to used cars purchased from used car dealers. Here is a link to a brochure from New Jersey Consumer Affairs that covers the law (Title 56:12-29 - 56:12-49):

http://www.njconsumeraffairs.gov/News/Brochures/Lemon-Law-Road-to-Relief-Brochure.pdf

Last edited:

dosmastr

Did you purchase your used car from a used car dealer or from a private party?

Did you have the car inspected by your own mechanic prior to purchase?

Did you get gas after your purchase? Sometimes check engine lights come on when gas caps are not secured properly.
1.PA Used Dealer

2.Car was test driven, and 2 mechanic friends also came with me. Everything looked as advertized.

3.Only drove the car 15 miles, didn't need to get gas.

Somehow 5 hours of googling and 10 min on bing didn't bring up that brochure, thank you.

EDIT: it looks like it does not apply because I bought the car out of state.
I just want what I paid for, or to be let out less whatever fees aren't refundable...

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
1.PA Used Dealer

2.Car was test driven, and 2 mechanic friends also came with me. Everything looked as advertized.

3.Only drove the car 15 miles, didn't need to get gas.

Somehow 5 hours of googling and 10 min on bing didn't bring up that brochure, thank you.

EDIT: it looks like it does not apply because I bought the car out of state.
I just want what I paid for, or to be let out less whatever fees aren't refundable...
Have you had the problem diagnosed?

dosmastr

Have you had the problem diagnosed?
I turned around on day of pickup and took it back after speaking with the seller on the phone. It has been 48 hours.
I called today, they gave me a vague answer ("its a sensor or something") which leads me to believe that it hasn't been taken to a shop yet.

I should have had my own mechanic look at it before taking it back but I did not have time that day and wanted there to be as little time in my hands as possible to reduce any leg they had to stand on that it was somehow my fault.

quincy

I turned around on day of pickup and took it back after speaking with the seller on the phone. It has been 48 hours.
I called today, they gave me a vague answer ("its a sensor or something") which leads me to believe that it hasn't been taken to a shop yet.

I should have had my own mechanic look at it before taking it back but I did not have time that day and wanted there to be as little time in my hands as possible to reduce any leg they had to stand on that it was somehow my fault.
So now you don't have the car or your money?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If they fix it, you're out nothing but a couple of days. Ask for a loaner over the holiday weekend...

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">