• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Purchased vehicle on Craigslist from owner of dealer

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Regulater

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Mexico, purchase in Arizona

I purchased a vehicle off Craigslist and the seller stated there was nothing wrong with it. I then drove about 100 miles and the radiator blew and car overheated. Took it to a shop and they showed that the radiator had damage from an impact and radiator had holes. Then showed that the ac condenser was badly bowed, and had glue on it to repair the cuts. The mechanic might have glued the radiator too to prevent it from leaking for a while. The title for the car was in a auto business name and the owner was the one that sold it to me staying there was nothing wrong with it. The purchase was off craigslist and nothing was stated about it being as-is as I had to drive it 500 miles home. He stated there was nothing major and everything was checked by multiple mechanics. The damage is hidden and was not viewable until the parts were removed.

What would I be able to do in this situation?

Last edited:

single317dad

Was this "auto business" a car dealer? Arizona has a helpful law that requires a dealer to provide you a 15-day, 500-mile warranty when you purchase a vehicle from them. That law, as well as general information from the State of Arizona and the Arizona Bar Association, follows:

http://www.azlawhelp.org/articles_info.cfm?mc=4&sc=70&articleid=14

https://www.azag.gov/consumer/cars

Used cars in Arizona are sold with an implied warranty of merchantability that applies to every used car sale (although a specific defect may not be covered if it is spelled out in writing). This law is found at A.R.S. § 44-1267. The implied warranty lasts fifteen days or 500 miles, whichever comes first. The dealer must be given two opportunities to repair the vehicle, before a consumer can seek a refund.
http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/44/01267.htm

G. An agreement for the sale of a used motor vehicle by a used motor vehicle dealer is voidable at the option of the purchaser unless it contains on its face the following conspicuous statement printed in bold-faced ten point or larger type set off from the body of the agreement:

The seller hereby warrants that this vehicle will be fit for the ordinary purposes for which the vehicle is used for 15 days or 500 miles after delivery, whichever is earlier, except with regard to particular defects disclosed on the first page of this agreement. You (the purchaser) will have to pay up to $25.00 for each of the first two repairs if the warranty is violated.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">