• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

recurring problems; warranty expired; am I SOL?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bmw_owner

What is the name of your state? CA

I bought a new 2000 BMW 328 about four years ago. Shortly after the 1st year, I started to experience problems with the sunroof. Over the next 12 months, I had to bring it in for repairs 4 times for the exact same problem. Shortly after the last repair, I purchased roof rack for the car. Because of the noise factor with the racks, I rarely use my sunroof. I've used it less than 10 times over the last 2 years. Last week I used it for the first time in about 6 months and the thing breaks (in the exact same manner as before). I bring it into a BMW dealership (the same one that did the previous repairs) to have it looked at. Since my warranty has expired, they want $1,500 to repair it.

I thoroughly believe that they did not correctly repair the sunroof the first time (or any of the recurring times) and that it should be covered under the original warranty. The dealership thinks otherwise. Am I SOL? Do I have any recourse in this matter?

Needless to say, I’ve been extremely disappointed with BMW. You would think that a $40K car would not have these issues.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bmw_owner said:
You would think that a $40K car would not have these issues.

My response:

You would think. But, that's what happens when Bavarian Motor Werks hires drunks. BMW quality has sunk below the level of a Yugo in recent years. Since I didn't see a question, I'll just say that you're better off buying a Ford.

And, speaking of Ford -- guess who now owns Jaguar? "Have you driven a Jaguar, lately?" Now, that's a piece of junk.

Thanks for venting.

IAAL

Last edited:
B

bmw_owner

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE said:
My response:
Since I didn't see a question, I'll just say that you're better of buying a Ford.

IAAL
Actually I do have a question. Are they liable for this repair although the warranty is expired since it was never fixed properly the first time?

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bmw_owner said:
Actually I do have a question. Are they liable for this repair although the warranty is expired since it was never fixed properly the first time?

My response:

No. You're past the Lemon law limitations period.

Presumably, you checked out the sunroof before you took the car home from the dealership each time it was repaired - - and it functioned to your satisfaction. The fact is, you allowed too much time to elapse between when it was last repaired to the time when you tried using it again, and during that time, the warranty expired.

Try to find a cherry 1972 or 1973, 2002 Ti or Tii, and buy it. Now, THAT was a car!

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">