• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sad puppy adoption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Comer6

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I adopted an 8 week old puppy from a shelter on Thursday June 9, by Tuesday June 14, the puppy was vomitting and had bad diarrhea, dehydrated, etc. went to the vet, dog tested positive for parvo, a very contagious and often deadly intestinal virus in very young pups. He came from a foster home just before adoption. I was told to rake him to the ER, he was so sick it was so sad. The quoted $2,000-$3,100 to treat him 2-4 days. I gave them my credit card, I called the shelter and was told no returns, no refunds, you are responsible for your pet. 2 days later the vet wanted $1,700 more to continue treatment. I reached out to the shelter again- not their problem. They can' t screen every dog for parvo! They feel no responsibility for the illness of of this poor baby or the exorbitant medical bills I had incurred on a puppy I had for 4 days. They gave a gift of insurance with a $75 deductible with max payout of $750. I took the puppy home last night bc I could not afford anymore than the $2,700 already paid. The vet told me that the dog was sick before I adopted him. My poor baby died this morning! They have offered to refund my $280 adoption fee and from now on when an adopter calls with a parvo issue they will be directed to the president and can bring the dog to them for treatment. Too little to late for my puppy. I emailed the first night and was ignored. East Coast Adoption Agency is affiliated with PetSmart and should bear some responsibility for these medical bills. I had no question about seeking mefical treatment for the puppy but need advice how to oroceed. And I do not want to hear from shelters about taking money from them to pay for a dead adopted dog. We are not talking about $100-$1,000, we are talking $3,000 plus the first vet who directed me to the Pet ER!

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? I adopted an 8 week old puppy from a shelter on Thursday June 9, by Tuesday June 14, the puppy was vomitting and had bad diarrhea, dehydrated, etc. went to the vet, dog tested positive for parvo, a very contagious and often deadly intestinal virus in very young pups. He came from a foster home just before adoption. I was told to rake him to the ER, he was so sick it was so sad. The quoted $2,000-$3,100 to treat him 2-4 days. I gave them my credit card, I called the shelter and was told no returns, no refunds, you are responsible for your pet. 2 days later the vet wanted $1,700 more to continue treatment. I reached out to the shelter again- not their problem. They can' t screen every dog for parvo! They feel no responsibility for the illness of of this poor baby or the exorbitant medical bills I had incurred on a puppy I had for 4 days. They gave a gift of insurance with a $75 deductible with max payout of $750. I took the puppy home last night bc I could not afford anymore than the $2,700 already paid. The vet told me that the dog was sick before I adopted him. My poor baby died this morning! They have offered to refund my $280 adoption fee and from now on when an adopter calls with a parvo issue they will be directed to the president and can bring the dog to them for treatment. Too little to late for my puppy. I emailed the first night and was ignored. East Coast Adoption Agency is affiliated with PetSmart and should bear some responsibility for these medical bills. I had no question about seeking mefical treatment for the puppy but need advice how to oroceed. And I do not want to hear from shelters about taking money from them to pay for a dead adopted dog. We are not talking about $100-$1,000, we are talking $3,000 plus the first vet who directed me to the Pet ER!
What state are you in?

Mass_Shyster

Other post says Maryland.

I don't know if they follow the Mass rule that says you can sue for reasonable vet bills that exceed the value of the property

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">