• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Salvage fiero for kit car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

desert_rsx

What is the name of your state? ---> Mississippi.

Hi folks, I am planning on using an 84 pontiac fiero (salvage title) as the base for my project kit car. How can I make this car street legal so I can drive it around? Do I need to get a clear title for the new car and have a new VIN issued, or are there other options?

Thanks alot to those that can help.
W

D

D.B. Cooper

Good luck with this one. Normally on a salvage once repairs are made you would flatbed it to dmv for a salvage inspection. But I think changing it to a kit body is going to confuse the idiots at the dmv. You might want to research the term "how to wash a title" which is basically running a salvage title thru another state to clean it, and then retitling in your state

BelizeBreeze

D.B. Cooper said:
Good luck with this one. Normally on a salvage once repairs are made you would flatbed it to dmv for a salvage inspection. But I think changing it to a kit body is going to confuse the idiots at the dmv. You might want to research the term "how to wash a title" which is basically running a salvage title thru another state to clean it, and then retitling in your state
Wrong. Once the kit is installed and the auto is street legal, you can apply for a new title. Most states have a 'replica' title or 'other' classification for just such. The VIN numbers on the engine and chassis will either be used or the car will be assigned a new vin to be affixed to the kit.

I own two kits in storage. One was built on a fiero drivetrain and the other on a chopped Chevy chassis. Both are titled and street legal.

So, call your local DMV and find out the process BEFORE beginning the process. Or, contact your local replica (kit) car club for their experience.

D

desert_rsx

BelizeBreeze said:
Wrong. Once the kit is installed and the auto is street legal, you can apply for a new title. Most states have a 'replica' title or 'other' classification for just such. The VIN numbers on the engine and chassis will either be used or the car will be assigned a new vin to be affixed to the kit.

I own two kits in storage. One was built on a fiero drivetrain and the other on a chopped Chevy chassis. Both are titled and street legal.

So, call your local DMV and find out the process BEFORE beginning the process. Or, contact your local replica (kit) car club for their experience.
Thanks for the info, these are the title types in MS
MISSISSIPPI
AD - ABANDONMENT
BS - BILL OF SALE
CT - CLEAN TITLE
FL - FLOOD TITLE
HT - HAIL TITLE
RT - REBUILT TITLE
ST - SALVAGE TITLE

Would I register it with a rebuilt title?

BelizeBreeze

desert_rsx said:
Thanks for the info, these are the title types in MS
MISSISSIPPI
AD - ABANDONMENT
BS - BILL OF SALE
CT - CLEAN TITLE
FL - FLOOD TITLE
HT - HAIL TITLE
RT - REBUILT TITLE
ST - SALVAGE TITLE

Would I register it with a rebuilt title?
Yep. And have fun. These damn cars can be a joy or a pain.

D

desert_rsx

BelizeBreeze said:
Yep. And have fun. These damn cars can be a joy or a pain.
Thanks, I appreciate your help. I have already started working on the car (v8 swap with archie kit). I love this stuff :)

Will

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">