• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Scammed truck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Deathtrout1

Sorry I'm very knew to this site and don't really know how it works. But recently bought a ford ranger. The ad on Craigslist advertised it as well maintained and then when I met him in person, even after I asked him questions about some of the problems he ensured me it would still pas inspection. Come to bring it to inspect and it fails nearly every category. I have some texts that kinda go ok my favor, but can I bring this guy to small claims court?

single317dad

Sorry I'm very knew to this site and don't really know how it works. But recently bought a ford ranger. The ad on Craigslist advertised it as well maintained and then when I met him in person, even after I asked him questions about some of the problems he ensured me it would still pas inspection. Come to bring it to inspect and it fails nearly every category. I have some texts that kinda go ok my favor, but can I bring this guy to small claims court?
http://doj.nh.gov/consumer/sourcebook/autos-used.htm

It seems vehicles sold by dealers in NH which will not pass certain inspections must come with a specific disclaimer to that effect.

http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/XXXI/358-F/358-F-mrg.htm

We can see from the statute that it relates to "dealers". I can find no such restriction on private sales, though it may yet exist.

If the seller attempted inspection and was denied prior to selling the truck, you may have a case if you can prove that. Otherwise, it's up to you to get a pre-sale inspection rather than trusting the seller's word.

That said, if you feel you didn't get a fair deal, you can certainly sue, but I don't rate your chances very high.

Deathtrout1

I also believe the previous insertion sticker he has on there now was obtained illegally. There's no way the amount of damage on the truck was obtained in the last 11 months. He said his uncle inspected so I believe there's something fishy going on there, have no way to prove it though.

Just Blue

I also believe the previous insertion sticker he has on there now was obtained illegally. There's no way the amount of damage on the truck was obtained in the last 11 months. He said his uncle inspected so I believe there's something fishy going on there, have no way to prove it though.
Why didn't you take the car to a mechanic to make sure it was sound?

Deathtrout1

Well honestly the trucks around here sell within 24 hours of being in the market. I knew I shouldn't of bought it I had a feeling. I'm just hoping I'm able to recoup my money.

Just Blue

Well honestly the trucks around here sell within 24 hours of being in the market. I knew I shouldn't of bought it I had a feeling. I'm just hoping I'm able to recoup my money.
I doubt you will. Consider it a EXPENSIVE life lesson. Never buy a used car without your mechanic having a looksee. ;):)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">