• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Seller Responsibility?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cinci2013

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio

I bought a used car two months ago and had a used car inspection done on it, it came back saying it had a radiator leak, oil leak, some other minor things etc. I have been trying to sell the car recently and last week someone came to check it out, I informed him I had a used car report and such and such was wrong with it, he looked under the hood and agreed there was a radiator leak. I had checked it regularly when I first bought the car, never had to put a drop of coolant in. I've checked it less regularly since then but still, it never needed fluids. He offered me 1900 at the time, which I politely refused and said I was looking for 2200 for it. He said okay and left. Yesterday he contacted me and said if I would still sell the car for 2200 he would come get it that day. I said okay, signed the title and had it notarized, and the title/cash were exchanged. Today I got a call from him and he said the car overheated on him and he wants his money back, I was busy at the time and said I'd get back to him. My question is, since the title/cash already exchanged hands, do I have any responsibility to give him his money back? I had made him fully aware of the radiator leak before he bought it. However, I called the BMV and the title is still in my name, so he hasn't switched it over yet. If I tell him sorry it's your car now, can anything fall back on me since the title is still technically in my name? What are my options?

Thank you for your advice..

swalsh411

The sale was as-is unless you provided a written warranty or guaruntee. I would immediately inform the DMV that you have sold the car so it is no longer your responsibility.

Don't give him his money back because he threatens to sue. Anybody can sue anybody for practically anything but unless you offered him a written warranty he will lose.

Cinci2013

The sale was as-is unless you provided a written warranty or guaruntee. I would immediately inform the DMV that you have sold the car so it is no longer your responsibility.

Don't give him his money back because he threatens to sue. Anybody can sue anybody for practically anything but unless you offered him a written warranty he will lose.
There was no written warranty or anything of the sort made, all that happened was the title/cash exchange. Thank you!

Cinci2013

Tell him to lose your number and enjoy his new car.
Ha okay thank you, I've talked to him since and he's contemplating taking it to court but I really don't think he has a case. He thinks that I misrepresented the car, but I even wrote that it had a radiator leak on the ad I posted on craigslist for it. Thanks for the support guys

Antigone*

Ha okay thank you, I've talked to him since and he's contemplating taking it to court but I really don't think he has a case. He thinks that I misrepresented the car, but I even wrote that it had a radiator leak on the ad I posted on craigslist for it. Thanks for the support guys
Keep a copy of your ad, just in case. You're welcome.:)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">