• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

selling a car in CA

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca

i live in ohio but have a pick-up in california that i plan to sell the 2 weeks i am there. there are some problems with it and i want to cover my butt if i can find somebody willing to buy it. i just want it off my hands so i don't have to deal with an out of state vehicle that is not worth bringing to ohio.

because i am planning on selling it as-is should i just have an agreement listing what i know to the best of my knowledge that is wrong and have them sign it... or not include any of that and just have them acknowledge that they have inspected it and agree to buy it as-is? should i include anything else in it? i just don't want them to come back to me and claim i misrepresented the condition of the pick-up and take me to scc. this will be the first car i ever sell so i just want my bases covered.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca

i live in ohio but have a pick-up in california that i plan to sell the 2 weeks i am there. there are some problems with it and i want to cover my butt if i can find somebody willing to buy it. i just want it off my hands so i don't have to deal with an out of state vehicle that is not worth bringing to ohio.

because i am planning on selling it as-is should i just have an agreement listing what i know to the best of my knowledge that is wrong and have them sign it... or not include any of that and just have them acknowledge that they have inspected it and agree to buy it as-is? should i include anything else in it? i just don't want them to come back to me and claim i misrepresented the condition of the pick-up and take me to scc. this will be the first car i ever sell so i just want my bases covered.
You may need to supply the buyer with a SMOG certificate...

when i moved to ohio i notified the dmv the truck would be non-op. when i got the registration renewal i payed the fee to keep it non-op. i have the form from dmv stating this(which i plan on bringing with me) so do i still need to do a smog inspection before i sell it? that would require me to pay to make it street legal and putting insurance on it. thats more than i want to do. i just want the truck gone.

if i had payed the registration fees it would have had to been smogged this year which would have been impossible for me to do.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">