• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold car with no emissions

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Brian27

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I recently sold a car with a failed emissions to another person who lives in an emissions county. before he bought the car i fully informed him and gave him the failed emissions slip along with documents showing where repairs had been made in an attempt to correct it. i never had the car retested, just decided to sell it. the owner recently contacted me and informed me it barely didnt pass emissions, didnt ask for money back but i want to make sure i covered myself when i sold it as is with documents showing the failure and repairs made.

Dave1952

No, you didn't cover yourself.

Georgia law requires that no person (dealers, auctioneers or individuals) sell a used vehicle, if such vehicle is to be registered in one of the 13 covered counties (Cherokee, Clayton, Cobb, Coweta, DeKalb, Douglas, Fayette, Forsyth, Fulton, Gwinnet, Henry, Paulding, and Rockdale), unless such vehicle has a valid, passing certificate of vehicle emission inspection at the time of sale (DNR Rule 391-3-20-.18(1)). The seller is not required to provide the buyer with a copy of the VIR. Please note: the Georgia Environmental Protection Division (EPD) can only investigate sales that have occurred within Georgia.

Just be quiet and hope he fixes the last few problems. If he wants his money back rather than fix the problem then you will have a problem.

Good luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">