• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold a car, now a problem.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Paul Mac

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca.
I sold a car yesterday to a gentelman that really liked the car, asked all the questions, test drove it, bought with cash and took it home. The car is in very good shape except for a CV joint that made noise which I told him about prior to his visit and during his test drive. About a month prior, someone else test drove it and tested the cigarette lighter. I've never used it before but it worked, then melted a fuse and wire. I removed the fuse (which didn't blow) and forgot all about it since I don't smoke. OK, back to today. The new owner finds the burnt wire and says it damaged some wires next to it which have some of the airbag wires. He confirms, the airbags are armed and functioning properly. Also, he "claims" the car is unsafe to drive and he wont drive it back. But, he wants me to either: 1. Pay to have new wiring put in (even though the existing wiring is working). 2. Refund the money and come and pick up the car (about 1 hour away) at my expense. I told him, he could bring the car back for a refund but he wanted to wait and see for 2 to 3 weeks. Not sure why but he likes the car. As far as I knew, only the cigerette lighter did not work. I don't think this is my problem and not even sure a problem exists with the car. I've never bought a used car and later had the luxury of returning it. Any thoughts? Thanks!!

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ca.
I sold a car yesterday to a gentelman that really liked the car, asked all the questions, test drove it, bought with cash and took it home. The car is in very good shape except for a CV joint that made noise which I told him about prior to his visit and during his test drive. About a month prior, someone else test drove it and tested the cigarette lighter. I've never used it before but it worked, then melted a fuse and wire. I removed the fuse (which didn't blow) and forgot all about it since I don't smoke. OK, back to today. The new owner finds the burnt wire and says it damaged some wires next to it which have some of the airbag wires. He confirms, the airbags are armed and functioning properly. Also, he "claims" the car is unsafe to drive and he wont drive it back. But, he wants me to either: 1. Pay to have new wiring put in (even though the existing wiring is working). 2. Refund the money and come and pick up the car (about 1 hour away) at my expense. I told him, he could bring the car back for a refund but he wanted to wait and see for 2 to 3 weeks. Not sure why but he likes the car. As far as I knew, only the cigerette lighter did not work. I don't think this is my problem and not even sure a problem exists with the car. I've never bought a used car and later had the luxury of returning it. Any thoughts? Thanks!!
You should have told him to enjoy his new car.

You have no further obligation to this man as long as the car passes the smog test.

Paul Mac

Thanks for the responses. That's what I thought. I had no idea the car had a wiring problem and even now, don't believe it does. I drove it with no problems. I offered his money back thinking there was something major wrong, from his first phone call and saying the airbags could deploy and kill him. He claimed he took photos of the wires but wont send them to me.
I will kindly tell him to "enjoy his car"
Thanks again.

BL

Thanks for the responses. That's what I thought. I had no idea the car had a wiring problem and even now, don't believe it does. I drove it with no problems. I offered his money back thinking there was something major wrong, from his first phone call and saying the airbags could deploy and kill him. He claimed he took photos of the wires but wont send them to me.
I will kindly tell him to "enjoy his car"
Thanks again.
Especially if he refused your offer and wants to wait two weeks .

Tell him to buy some electrical tape and enjoy his ride.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You should have told him to enjoy his new car.

You have no further obligation to this man as long as the car passes the smog test.
To be precise: The seller is supposed to provide a valid SMOG cert, UNLESS a cert was presented with 90 days previously to the DMV.

Paul Mac

Zigner,
Another odd thing about this deal... I was going to get it smogged but he wanted to take it immediatly and said he didn't want to smog or reg. it till November or December. I have the release of liability all filled out and photo copied so I figure I'm safe. Thanks for the input.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">