• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Sold A Car to Private Party and

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chevytahoedrive

EDIT: Subject should be "Bought Car from Private Party - Possible Lemon"

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I bought a 2001 Jetta with +142K miles from a private party 10 days ago. Seller mentioned car might need some suspension work but didn't specifically say what. Car drove really good and was in really great condition. In my negligence, never bothered checking the car or take it to a mechanic to inspect it before I bought. Signed an "AS-IS" contract stipulating the following:

"The sale of vehicle by seller, XXXX, to buyer, XXX, is being sold with the understanding of both parties of no implied warranty and as-is condition. This transaction is being made on good faith by both parties."

After transaction was made, I took to register car to Arizona. It did not pass emissions and took it to a shop and the cat converter needs to be replaced. There was no check engine light at all or warning from dash panel car needed work. Turns out previous owner was living one county but had the car address registered in another county in AZ as well so no yearly emission test was required when he would register. He had the car for 5 years. Also, apparently the title was a manufacture buy-back in 2003. Previous owner bought it in 2005. Took it to a mechanic and was quoted over $2,300 to replace catalytic converter, replace front CV boot (suspension problem he mentioned), and other items which are recommended i replace.

Do i have any recourse under AZ Lemon Law or am i bound by the "AS-IS" contract I signed with him? :(

Last edited:

Isis1

EDIT: Subject should be "Bought Car from Private Party - Possible Lemon"

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I bought a 2001 Jetta with +142K miles from a private party 10 days ago. Seller mentioned car might need some suspension work but didn't specifically say what. Car drove really good and was in really great condition. In my negligence, never bothered checking the car or take it to a mechanic to inspect it before I bought. Signed an "AS-IS" contract stipulating the following:

"The sale of vehicle by seller, XXXX, to buyer, XXX, is being sold with the understanding of both parties of no implied warranty and as-is condition. This transaction is being made on good faith by both parties."

After transaction was made, I took to register car to Arizona. It did not pass emissions and took it to a shop and the cat converter needs to be replaced. There was no check engine light at all or warning from dash panel car needed work. Turns out previous owner was living one county but had the car address registered in another county in AZ as well so no yearly emission test was required when he would register. He had the car for 5 years. Also, apparently the title was a manufacture buy-back in 2003. Previous owner bought it in 2005. Took it to a mechanic and was quoted over $2,300 to replace catalytic converter, replace front CV boot (suspension problem he mentioned), and other items which are recommended i replace.

Do i have any recourse under AZ Lemon Law or am i bound by the "AS-IS" contract I signed with him? :(
by your very own statement, you were negligent in proding a mechanis to look over the vehicle prior to the purchase.

it's under the "as is" law regardless if that was written in the contract. the fact that it WAS written in the contract, makes it worse for you.

GotSmart

9 year old car, 142,000 miles, seller discloses vague "suspension" problems.

You did not pay $30 to have it looked over first. :eek:

I walked away from some nice cars because i took them to a mechanic first.

Expensive lesson.

xylene

Did you go to the dealer?

A catalytic converter and the repairs you describe for your car is NOT that expensive.

An entire CV shaft is around 60 to 80 dollars.

The labor guide lists that as ~2.5 hours.

Your cat, the part, is looking at 300 to 500 dollars for an aftermarket converter.

Shop around.

I love VW and know them well, and if you find a good affordable mechanic, those repairs should chime in at the high 3 figures, low 1,000s...

Depending on what you paid for this Jetta, I might even say you got a good deal.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Heck, Kragen (Oreilly) shows a cat for a Wolfsburg Edition at $190 (for the California version). $300-$500 is excessive ;)

A catalytic converter and the repairs you describe for your car is NOT that expensive.

An entire CV shaft is around 60 to 80 dollars.

The labor guide lists that as ~2.5 hours.

Your cat, the part, is looking at 300 to 500 dollars for an aftermarket converter.

Shop around.

I love VW and know them well, and if you find a good affordable mechanic, those repairs should chime in at the high 3 figures, low 1,000s...

Depending on what you paid for this Jetta, I might even say you got a good deal.

lenny71

I'll chime in stating I am suspicious of the need for a catalytic converter if the check engine light is not on.
On a lot of older cars you can 'reset' the check engine light by disconnecting the battery or pulling and then replacing the fuse there are also devices to do this. The check engine light will then come back on when it is retripped after driving a certain distance. This would not fool an emissions center as the engine diagnostics code will show that it has not run a full cycle.

Last edited:

Mass_Shyster

On a lot of older cars you can 'reset' the check engine light by disconnecting the battery or pulling and then replacing the fuse there are also devices to do this. The check engine light will then come back on when it is retripped after driving a certain distance. This would not fool an emissions center as the engine diagnostics code will show that it has not run a full cycle.
Bun in that case, the OBDC-II code would not show a problem with the cat, only that the full cycle had not been run.

If it was showing a code for the cat, the check engine light would come back on.

lenny71

Bun in that case, the OBDC-II code would not show a problem with the cat, only that the full cycle had not been run.

If it was showing a code for the cat, the check engine light would come back on.
Of course. What I am bringing up is the possibllity that the seller reset the check engine diagnostic to hide the check engine light and that the issues were discovered before the car was driven enough to complete its diagnostic and re-trip the light.

Regardless, it was sold as is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">