• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Speedometer fraud

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeepgc

I live in South Carolina. A couple weeks ago, I purchased a car from a private seller on craigslist. I had the vehicle inspected before buying but failed to run a Carfax. The only problem with the car was that the airbag and seatbelt light stayed on at all times. So just yesterday when I went to go and have it fixed, the mechanic that pulled out the cluster showed me that it was an aftermarket cluster that had been pulled from a junk yard meaning the mileage was not accurate. I ran a Carfax and found out that instead of the 143,000 miles the speedometer read, the car was last reported with 220,000 miles! I know that the man that sold it to me was the one that swapped them out. The Carfax leaves off at the dealership he told me bought it from two months ago, where they report the accurate mileage. I also did a search on him and found a mugshot from a couple years ago (unrelated to this but it further confirmed my suspicions). On the title, he claimed exempt on the mileage, however on the Bill of Sale (which he acted extremely irate about having to sign, telling me that I wouldn't need it even though it is required in my state) it states the mileage of 143,000. I'm not sure if there is anything that can be done at this point being that it is a private seller and a vehicle over 10 years old, but wanted to get others opinions. I realize to have a case I would need proof that he was the one that switched out the cluster. However, I called the junk yard he bought the current one from and they told me they do not keep records of purchases so it looks to be a dead end. He is a private seller but this is how he makes his living, ripping people off. He has several other cars on craigslist and in his yard that I'm willing to bet he's doing the exact same thing with to make a profit.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The odometer read what he stated it read on the bill of sale. Due to the age of the vehicle, he's not required to report actual mileage, etc.

Dave1952

If the car runs well, what's the problem? You knew it was an old, high mileage car when you bought it. You liked it when you looked at it. Your mechanic liked it. Why do you want to head to court?

xylene

You have no case. The odometer reading was was exempt.

The time to run a carfax is before a purchase.

jeepgc

That's a nearly 100,000 mile difference? I'm paying back a loan on a car that may very well be nearing the end of its life, not to mention completely overpaid for it considering mileage.

xylene

That's a nearly 100,000 mile difference? I'm paying back a loan on a car that may very well be nearing the end of its life, not to mention completely overpaid for it considering mileage.
The state doesn't think it is relevant, hence why they allow older vehicles to be exempted from mileage reporting.

jeepgc

The state doesn't think it is relevant, hence why they allow older vehicles to be exempted from mileage reporting.
That is quite obvious to me now, but I said this in reply to Dave1952's comment asking why this is a problem for me personally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">