• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subaru Crosstrek '14 oil consumption

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rgambord

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Purchased in Iowa, reside in Oregon

2014 Subaru Crosstrek purchased new in Iowa, Delivered 6/27/2014

Brought in for service on 5/02/2016 to Subaru dealer complaining of oil consumption. Subaru replaced sticking PCV valve and replaced oil under warranty, beginning an oil consumption test. Service record shows 6 qts of oil installed (manual calls for 5 qts).

Oil light came on, 11/19/2016, 5300 miles later. Brought car in, and they claimed they have to test it before 1300 miles, according to the TSB, but the TSB doesn't say anything about that.

11/25/2016. Subaru dealer started a new consumption test today. I caught them overfilling the engine (fraud), which would have guaranteed a false negative on the test. They drained and refilled, but when I got home I noticed that their inspection seal sticker has already fallen off of the oil filler cap, which probably invalidates the test.

I believe this problem has severely affected the resale value of the vehicle, and is a reliability issue that causes increased wear on the engine. Also, I am concerned about the ability of the car to pass smog tests if I register in Oregon.

I am rapidly running out of time to file in Iowa, and I am not sure if I have already passed the deadlines anyways. The problem started and was noted prior to the deadline, but the third visit to fix the problem hasn't happened yet.

Also, I was just made aware of a class action lawsuit on the 19th when I called corporate. The opt-out deadline has already passed, but I was never notified, and never would have remained in such a stupid lawsuit. Is it possible to retroactively opt-out if I never received notification?

Am I screwed?

justalayman

So you knew there was an oil consumption issue on 5/01/16 and you didn't check the oil for 5300 miles/6months?

Especially if there is an excessive oil consumption issue, your waiting until the oil light came on to check the oil could have negated your argument of it being a factory warranty issue. Do you regularly wait until the light comes on to check the oil? How much oil is it consuming over some given distance? If so you could have caused engine damage which would relieve the manufacturer of their warranty obligations.

Have you returned to the dealer to get this recent test restarted (with the sticker reapplied)?

I only read a short summary of the suit but why would you want to opt out of something that appears to provide you with additional protections and extends your warranty covering this exact issue?

rgambord

The Oil light indicates 1 qt low of oil, and not damage to the engine. I did check the oil regularly.

I would have to go back in on Monday to have the sticker re-applied.

The class action settlement voids my ability to sue privately. Numerous owners have had their engines replaced only to have the same oil burning problem.

justalayman

The Oil light indicates 1 qt low of oil, and not damage to the engine. I did check the oil regularly.

I would have to go back in on Monday to have the sticker re-applied.

The class action settlement voids my ability to sue privately. Numerous owners have had their engines replaced only to have the same oil burning problem.
Do you realize that if you sued independently it would cost you, quite likely, more than your entire car cost you? You would have to prove the defective engineering you claim since Subaru admitted to no fault in the settlement of the class action suit? Given your award wouldn't be more than the value of the car, at absolute most, this is not likely something an attorney would accept on contingency. Once you start running the numbers you will see that a suit for this is really not financially practical.

And yes, the low oil level warning light would indicate a low oil level where the manual states you should stop the engine and check the level. You may want make that clear for us old folks that aren't used to cars with low oil level warning lights.

Last edited:

justalayman

I was reading a bit more.

Do you have a manual or auto trans?

These Crosstreks were included in the suit;

With auto/cvt trans:

2013 Crosstrek (below VIN *856139)

With manual trans;

2013-15 Crosstrek (below VIN *270284)

Does that change anything for you as far as being within the suit?

Here is a link to the filing. It's actually an interesting read from
A mechanics point of view.

www.girardgibbs.com/wp-content/uploads/subaru-oil-consumption-class-action-lawsuit.pdf

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">