• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Subletter rights against Landlord who rents premesis from owner

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

pricelece

Sublessor trying to kick me out and steal my cats - help!

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I moved in with who is now my ex-significant other last year. A few weeks ago we decided to officially call it quits and agreed orally that I would move out of the house at the end of my school quarter. (2 months later) When we broke up, I bought a bed and moved into the second bedroom. Now, the ex, who had gotten permission to rent to me as a subletter from the owner, is threatening to evict me "just because". He has gotten his mother involved who showed up yesterday "and is staying here until I leave " and who has begun to pack my things while I was at work today. We also have two cats together who were taken to a kennel last week and I was told that they had been shipped to his family in another state! I thought I would never see them again. The next day, I was able to convince the ex to reconsider his threat to kick me out, bring the cats home and to create a written agreement. His reasoning for the shock was to "get my attention and to get a date in writing" because he didnt trust that I would actually move. I was willing to accept that… The written agreement states that I have 30 days to move out and that none of my belongings would be placed outside of the rental It also states that I will take one of the cats that we adopted together. ..but today I come home to some of my things in boxes in the living room and another threat of eviction accompanied by insults and physical intimidation from the mother. I asked that we could talk and find a way to live peacefully for the next 3 weeks or until I find a place to lease but the answer was no. They are telling me that because I am not on the lease for the house that I can be evicted by the owner or by the ex without 30days or any notice. I have never paid rent late and up until now thought that the landlord/ex bf and I were on relatively OK terms. I am very shocked and not sure what to do. I am afraid to leave the house and come back to changed locks and missing cats. Can I call the police or go to court for a temporary restraining order against them intimidating and yelling at me and touching my things and changing the locks? We have a written agreement now for heavens sake..

Last edited:

Banned_Princess

I moved in with who is now my ex-significant other last year. A few weeks ago we officially decided to break up and agreed orally that I would move out of the house at the end of my school quarter. When we broke up, I bought a bed and moved into the second bedroom. Now, the ex, who had gotten permission to rent to me as a subletter from the owner is threatening to evict me "just because". He has gotten his mother involved who showed up yesterday "and is staying here until I leave " who has begun to pack my things while I was at work today. A few days ago, before his mother came, we created a written agreement for the first time that stated that I had 30 days to move out and that none of my belongings would be placed outside of the rental - but today I come home to some of my things in boxes in the living room and a threat of eviction accompanied by insults and physical intimidation from the mother. I asked that we could talk and find a way to live peacefully for the next 3 weeks or until I find a place to lease but the answer was no. They are telling me that because I am not on the lease for the house that I can be evicted without 30days or any notice. I have never paid rent late and up until now thought that the landlord/ex bf and I were on relatively good terms. I am very shocked and not sure what to do. Can I call the police or go to court for a temporary restraining order against them touching my things and changing the locks? We have a written agreement for heavens sake..
First of all what does this have to do with the lemon law?

Banned_Princess

I moved in with who is now my ex-significant other last year. A few weeks ago we officially decided to break up and agreed orally that I would move out of the house at the end of my school quarter. When we broke up, I bought a bed and moved into the second bedroom. Now, the ex, who had gotten permission to rent to me as a subletter from the owner is threatening to evict me "just because". He has gotten his mother involved who showed up yesterday "and is staying here until I leave " who has begun to pack my things while I was at work today.
well, i would have the police come by, and tell them not to touch your things. are you keeping your stuff in your room?

A few days ago, before his mother came, we created a written agreement for the first time that stated that I had 30 days to move out and that none of my belongings would be placed outside of the rental - but today I come home to some of my things in boxes in the living room
Well, that isnt outside of the rental. Take all of your things and put them in your room. put a lock on your door. video tape the condition of things especially things like furniture that you cannot keep in your room.

and a threat of eviction accompanied by insults and physical intimidation from the mother.
call 911 if you feel threatened.

I asked that we could talk and find a way to live peacefully for the next 3 weeks or until I find a place to lease but the answer was no.
like i said, keep your things in your room, lock the door, and dont talk to them.

They are telling me that because I am not on the lease for the house that I can be evicted without 30days or any notice.
they are compleately wrong. but you did get your 30 day notice. but anyway, only a court can forcefully remove you from the rental, dont let them scare or bully you.

I have never paid rent late and up until now thought that the landlord/ex bf and I were on relatively good terms
well, sorry, sometimes relationships sour.

I am very shocked and not sure what to do. Can I call the police or go to court for a temporary restraining order against them touching my things and changing the locks? We have a written agreement for heavens sake.

yes. and if they do, change the locks, loose damage or destroy your things you can sue them for all kinds of things. let us know when that happens.

you can and should call the police for the things i went over, and get police reports.

pricelece

Sorry for miscategorizing.. and thank you for the advice. I will call the police department, go to the court tomorrow come back and update.

THANK YOU - I CAN SLEEP NOW.

Banned_Princess

You might want to send your cats to live somewhere else until you move, just to be on the side of safety.

if they lock you out call the police to get 1 a police report, and 2 let back in.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">