• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

is there a 30 day policy on returning a vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

melodylyn

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
I bought a car yesterday. When I test drove it on Wednesday there was no issues I didn't know about. When I picked it up yesterday, he had the door open cleaning the windows. The door was "dinging" like they do when you leave the keys in it or the lights on.... There were no keys in it. We were facing the sun, and I couldn't see why. He told me it was because he had the door open too long. HOWEVER.... when I got home and in the shade, I saw clearly that the parking lights were on. I called him immediately. He said it was my fault. I must have hit something. (while driving it the 3 miles to my house) So, what can I do, if anything? He lied right to my face! Even if I had hit something on my way home, how do you explain why it was "dinging" when I arrived in the first place? Please tell me I can file some type of claim against him in civil court.
Answers.com posted this:
Yes, when buying from a private party there is a universal lemon law that allows the purchaser to get their money back within 30 days of the purchase through the court system.

racer72

Turn the lights off. My car dings if the door is open and the light switch is anywhere but the off position.

The blurb you posted from Answers.com is wrong. Only one state has any kind of warranty law concerning used vehicle sold privately and it is not Michigan.

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Michigan
I bought a car yesterday. When I test drove it on Wednesday there was no issues I didn't know about. When I picked it up yesterday, he had the door open cleaning the windows. The door was "dinging" like they do when you leave the keys in it or the lights on.... There were no keys in it. We were facing the sun, and I couldn't see why. He told me it was because he had the door open too long. HOWEVER.... when I got home and in the shade, I saw clearly that the parking lights were on. I called him immediately. He said it was my fault. I must have hit something. (while driving it the 3 miles to my house) So, what can I do, if anything? He lied right to my face! Even if I had hit something on my way home, how do you explain why it was "dinging" when I arrived in the first place? Please tell me I can file some type of claim against him in civil court.
Answers.com posted this:
Yes, when buying from a private party there is a universal lemon law that allows the purchaser to get their money back within 30 days of the purchase through the court system.
Enjoy your new car.

FlyingRon

Is this a VW or an AUDI by any chance. They have an odd feature that when the car is parked (turned off), the turn signal activates the parking lights. Yes the car will ding while the door is open. Check the turn signal switch...

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
My Isuzu will make noise if you open the door with the ignition off and keys out while the lights are in any position but fully off.

My Suburban (early '90's) will make noise if the ignition is off (keys in or out) and the lights are in any position but fully off.

It's a feature to keep people from forgetting that the lights are on. Enjoy your feature-rich car!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">