• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Title on car says different year than sales papers

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma.

I just bought my car in April, its a 2011. They sent me the packet of papers and everything says 2011. Then I just received the title in the mail and it says 2010. Should i call the used car commisioner or what? What do i do or can i do?

Proseguru

What would you want to begin with. They sold you a 2010 car as a 2011. Clearly there is a difference in value.

If you call them then it will be matter of he said/she said if it came down to what was said. You should know this right now.

I would send a letter to demand that the sale be rescinded and that all funds be returned to you and also any losses be compensated for. I would send this letter to the registered agent for the company (find this out at secretary of state website..business search) and send it certified post.

Or you can call your state's attorney general's office .. they can represent you for free :) !

Up to you which avenue you wish to go. Its a personal preference.

Last edited:
What would they do to fix it? Or do i have to do something and if i do what should i do? I'm ok with my car but i want it to be correct.

Look at the sticker on the door jamb. See what month it was manufactured in. Most year models are actually made the year before (ie. a 2011 year model can be manufactured in 2010, and I realize this is the opposite of your situation, I'm just providing a background). A general practice is that anything manufactured after June is the "model year" of the next year. Example: anything manufactured between June 2010 and May 2011 is a 2011 model. This is only a general rule, not every automaker goes by this. The end all to the discussion is the VIN number. The 10th digit of the VIN is the model year. See what the 10th digit is and then call or research what digit your auto maker uses for each model year. Chances are that the DMV has the correct info on the title since they go by the VIN, but it might be possible that they made a boo-boo.

Proseguru

What would they do to fix it? Or do i have to do something and if i do what should i do? I'm ok with my car but i want it to be correct.
The VIN # of the car will tell you what year it was produced. What do you want correct? All the documents should have the VIN #, right?

They sell you a 2010 and say its a 2011, and you are OK with that? Up to you.

I would not worry about a difference or error with the sales paperwork as long as the VIN # is there.

BL

You can run the Kelly Blue Book values and find the differences in price.

You can try negotiating with the dealer for the price difference.

If you are not satisfied ,you can file a complaint with your local Office Of Attorney General - consumer affairs division.

smorr

It may be my imagination, but I don't see that the OP is looking to sue anyone here. Just asked what they should do? It appears that someone made a mistake. If the Title says 2010, then call your local Motor Vehicle Registry office or the office that issues the Titles. They have a record of the vehicle's ID number (VIN). They will be able to tell by that what year the car really is. IF you find out the vehicle is indeed a 2010, then you go back to the dealer telling them what you found out and show them a "copy" of the Title to prove it. At that point, the gripe is between you and the dealer and you may have some legal recourse. But, if it turns out to be a 2011 vehicle, then the Registry made a mistake and they'll need to issue you a new Title. I live in Massachusetts and a car I once bought had something like 56,000 miles on it when I bought it. When the title showed up, it showed that the car had 156,000 miles on it. Clearly that was the mistake of the Registry. I went to the registry and told them about the mistake. I even had to have a State Trooper check the car to confirm I wasn't lying. They fixed the Title and sent me a new one. Before you spend your money on litigation services, make sure who made the mistake and if it can be fixed. May save you a whole lotta bucks!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">