• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Title was not signed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Israelleon213

I live In Richmond Virginia. I recently sold a car. When i sold the car i signed the title and gave the title the buyer to fill out later. He gave me the money and kept the title and car but i think he didnt fill out his information. He calls me next day saying the car transmission is messed up. the car still runs and in my perspective the car is fine and before he bought it, he checked the car engine, checked if car made any kind of noises, checked the interior and checked for any lights. He said that he will take the car and bought it. Next day he calls me saying the transmission doesnt work and he wants a refund. i told him no. he said he wants to sue me and take me to court. Can he press charges or what legal actions does he have against me?

adjusterjack

There is no want to sue. There is either sue or not sue.

As long as he's just blowing hot air, you are free to ignore him.

Private sales are AS IS with no warranties or guarantees.

Tell him that one time, hang up, and stop talking to him.

Israelleon213

I gave him the title and car. i signed the title but he didnt. He gave me the cash and he kept the title. Is there a problem with him not signing it?

Israelleon213

PLEASE HELP. If he didnt sign the title but i did and he even gave me his cash. its his car now, right?

quincy

PLEASE HELP. If he didnt sign the title but i did and he even gave me his cash. its his car now, right?
The buyer needs to sign the title to complete the transfer.

Here are links to read (you did not need to start a second thread):

http://www.dmv.org/va-virginia/buy-sell/selling-your-car/paper-work-when-selling-a-car.php

http://www.valegalaid.org/files/E095B726-FCD8-81C1-17DC-A16C7ED73FFF/attachments/0259CCF5-AD5A-4E10-85EE-F4AAB14BC474/buying-a-used-car.pdf

quincy

What if he doesn't want to sign the title anymore and demands his money back? Thank you for your quick response
That is a problem.

This is one reason why it is recommended for private sales that both the seller and the buyer go to the DMV office together to complete the transfer of title.

The buyer does not appear to have any legal ground for rescinding the sale as a private car sale is (generally) considered an "as is" sale. But, until the buyer applies for a title transfer and registers the car, the title is in your name and registered to you.

I provided some links. You might wish to contact the DMV and Virginia Legal Aid. Good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">