• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trading in Car - Now discovered there is unibody damage on my car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mirkky

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Connecticut

I bought a used car back in 2008. I asked the dealer if this vehicle had been in any accidents and the dealer said no it had not been in any. Fast forward to 2011. I am buying a new car and wanting to trade in the one I purchased in 2008. Come to find out the autocheck report says that the car has unibody frame damage and thus that greatly affects its trade in value. I also would never have purchased this car in 2008 if this information was disclosed to me.

I know the dealer purchased this car from auction and the frame damage was disclosed at auction.

Do I have any chance of getting back money that I have invested to this car (possibly all payments that have been made) because the dealer knew this information, but did not disclose it?

Additionally, after looking over the purchase contract this car was NOT sold AS-IS. Also, there was an area on the contract where the dealer would list any defects and they listed none.

Last edited:

mirkky

Is the dealer not responsible for not disclosing that the car frame was damaged? I do not understand your "LOL...No!" Are you saying that the dealer can just withold information from sales with no consequences?

Indiana Filer

Is the dealer not responsible for not disclosing that the car frame was damaged? I do not understand your "LOL...No!" Are you saying that the dealer can just withold information from sales with no consequences?
Can you prove the dealer knew of the damage? And what did the mechanic (that you hired pre-purchase to examine the car) tell you about the car prior to your purchase of said car?

Kiawah

Pay to have any used vehicle professionally inspected, BEFORE you sign to buy, is the lesson learned.

You were lucky you didn't have any other problems during the years of your ownership.

Mass_Shyster

Come to find out the autocheck report says that the car has unibody frame damage and thus that greatly affects its trade in value.
What is the exact amount that this report has on the value of the vehicle? That amount would be your damages, not all the payments you have made.
I know the dealer purchased this car from auction and the frame damage was disclosed at auction.
Proving the seller had actual knowledge of the frame damage and that the seller misrepresented the vehicle should help you win a suit against the seller. Check your small claims court for the amount you can sue for. It's probably not worth the time of an attorney (unless you're talking about an Italian sports car).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">