• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Truck is slowly dying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dan M

I live in Washington State.

I started to purchase a 1998 Dodge Dakota, truck in Sept of 2010 through a friend who owns a company (truck was a company truck) the truck was (as is). I did not need to take any kind of loans, all I had to do was put the title in my name with the company's name as legal owner, until I have paid sale price in full.

In the four months from start of purchase. The blinkers and brake lights have stopped working, the transmission starting slipping, the brakes started squeeling, the miles per gallon have steadly decreased.

I know I started this purchase with the "as is" clause. But to have that many things go bad in a short amout of time. In my opinion is not good.

Please help if you can

Dan Melton

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

I started to purchase a 1998 Dodge Dakota, truck in Sept of 2010 through a friend who owns a company (truck was a company truck) the truck was (as is). I did not need to take any kind of loans, all I had to do was put the title in my name with the company's name as legal owner, until I have paid sale price in full.

In the four months from start of purchase. The blinkers and brake lights have stopped working, the transmission starting slipping, the brakes started squeeling, the miles per gallon have steadly decreased.

I know I started this purchase with the "as is" clause. But to have that many things go bad in a short amout of time. In my opinion is not good.

Please help if you can

Dan Melton
I would suggest that you take your truck to a mechanic to try to resolve the issues...

Kiawah

Well you probably realize at this point, that you should have had the vehicle inspected by a professional mechanic BEFORE you agreed to buy it. You would have known the actual condition, estimated costs to repair, and you could have decided to either not buy the vehicle or potentially negotiate a better price because repairs had to be made.

At this point, get it repaired to avoid further more expensive damage, and learn from the mistake.

sandyclaus

Please help if you can

Dan Melton
Bottom line here is that you purchased the vehicle AS-IS from a private party seller. It probably would have done you well to have the vehicle inspected by a mechanic before completing the purchase. If you had done so, you could know the precise condition of the truck before paying for a vehicle that might deteriorate so quickly.

Unless the seller provided some kind of written guarantee of the condition of the vehicle, you take the vehicle exactly as you find it. Because you didn't exercise due diligence and have it inspected beforehand, you can't now complain because the vehicle is now breaking down on you so soon after purchase.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">