• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Trying to return a new car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? State of California

A new car was purchased from a dealership with less than 25 miles on it. Since the purchase in January, the car is having problems where it "jerks" very hard during acceleration. The car has been taken to the shop on three occasions in an attempt to fix the issue, however, the dealership has been unable to rectify the issue. On the last visit, it was discovered that a computer was changed when the car had 8 miles on it by the dealership. This was not disclosed prior to purchase. Is there any requirement that material information, such as a computer change, be disclosed prior to purchase? I am beginning to wonder if the computer change is reflective of the dealership/manufacturer's knowledge that there was an issue with the car. I know if all else fails, and they are unable to fix the issue with the car then I can utilize the lemon law. However, I would like to return the car ASAP, as opposed to taking it to the shop a few more times and dealing with further hassle.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You've probably got to give them one more chance:

http://oag.ca.gov/consumers/general/lemon

swalsh411

Changing out some of the electronics in the car is not a material change that would by itself give you any sort of relief under the lemon law. You have rights under the lemon law but you must allow them a chance to fix.

Proseguru

Changing out some of the electronics in the car is not a material change that would by itself give you any sort of relief under the lemon law. You have rights under the lemon law but you must allow them a chance to fix.
And be happy that there are now such a law on the books

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">