• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

USC relationship to State law

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Bewise

AZ

I would like to know what the below BEFORE all the caps means. <P>

Except to the extent that State law is inconsistent with this
chapter,THIS CHAPTER DOES NOT <br>
(1) affect a State law on disconnecting, altering, or tampering with an odometer with intent to defraud; or<br>
(2) exempt a person from complying with that law.<p>

AZ code states the odometer disclosure requirement does not apply to a motor vehicle that is ten model years of age or older.

United States Code CHAPTER 327 - ODOMETERS - does not limit the year of the motor vehicle, and allows a private party to file a civil suit in either a FDC or State court. <p>

But I am unsure if the "Except" section above causes State law on this issue to trump USC. Do you know? Thank you for any help. :)

FlyingRon

By the way, the proper cite is 49 USC 327. Just for those who want to read it.

As far as I understand, the sections you are concerned with says that if the state has such a law the federal law doesn't override it. This means that the state has a more restrictive law than the federal law, the state law still applies inside that state. It does not mean that if a state has a law on odometers, that it overrides this law. They both apply.

Bewise

Thank you

Hi Flyingron,

Thank you for the information, including the proper way to cite.

Very funny comment about staying at the Holiday Inn Express.

Have a great day!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">