• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used Auto Problem

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caroldrydon

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland
I was buying a 1999 Ford Windstar on 2/2/09 and shortly after it started having electrical issues and the needles on the dash was going crazy. I contacted the girl at the dealership that I was buying it from and she told me to bring it in. She had a mechanic there that looked at it and when I got it back a few days later it still had the same problems so, I called her back and informed her it was still having problems she told me to bring it in on such and such date and when I took it in again she said sorry I forgot to schedule you for today and asked if I can bring it in on another date. Ok at this point I have been doing this for approx. 2 months and nothing is fixed. Took it in the second or third time she said she did not have a loaner vehicle for me. At this time it had electrical issues, heat wasn't working and other stuff. When i called her back again she said the parts had not come in yet that she will call me when they came in. At this point I called the main owner and told him what was going on he informed me she and the mechanic was no longer there and I should take the van back in that there was new people working there for him. When I purchased the van in February it had approx. 129,000 miles on it and I purchased an extended warranty through the dealership for 12 months or 12,000 miles. So, I called the new people up and told them that 1. the van was making a loud noise for months, 2. it had a short in the ignition, 3. it had an electrical problem, 4. the needles on the dash was going crazy, 5. loud sound behind front drivers tire like something was about to fall off, ect. He said bring it in. I took it in with a written list of what was wrong with it and he said he would get it fixed. Well, he had it for approx. 2 to 2 1/2 weeks. Here is where the real problem comes in, for the first 2 months I had the van I traveled back and forth to baltimore approx. 30 mins. each way because my mom was really sick and after that I stayed within short distance of my home. 1. I don't work because of my children's disabilities, 2. I drive locally unless I go to take my mom to the doctors and that is approx. 30 mins. away . I got the van 2/2/09 it had 129,039 miles, I took it in for an oil change on 4/16/09 it had 133,000 miles when I dropped it off at the dealership on approx. the last week of May no later that 6/2/09 it had approx. a little over 134,000 miles when I got it back approx. 2 weeks or so later they sent it to Norris Ford to replace the dash but, it still had the major problems and when I called the dealership to inform them the problems were not fixed they told me they sold my load to a finance company in Florida. I called my extended warranty company up and they told me to take it to pep boys and get an estimate on the work that needed to be done. They told me that it needed back shocks, front tie rods and other things. So, while I was waiting for the warranty company to look over the estimate the transmission went up. I had AAA tow it to a transmission shop and they contacted they warranty company and they said the van was over the 12,000 mile limit for the warranty to cover it. I called and asked them how could that be and they said that I drove approx. 20,000 miles in approx. 8 months, and I said NO WAY. When I got the oil change on 4/16/09 the miles were 133,000, when I dropped it off at the dealership ruffly the end of May the millage was a little over 134,000 miles, Norris Ford said when the dealership gave it to them on 6/2/09 the millage was 143,969. That's approx. 9,690 miles somehow put on the van when the dealership had it in their possession. When I contacted the dealership about the millage they said they had no idea what happened to the millage and it was out of their hands. Now I have a van the finance company that bought my loan on the van wants $12,000 for the van I have only had for 8 months and the problems were not fixed by the dealership before they sold it to them in Florida and I have 2 children with disabilities and no transportation to get them back and forth to their doctors appointment and such. And everyone the dealership, the dealerships main office, the extended warranty company and the finance company said it is not their problem. What can or should I do?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

DRTDEVL

Well first, this USED vehicle does not fall anywhere near qualifying as a lemon. It's a 10 year old van with over 100,000 miles!

Second, I know what happened to the mileage, and you should have caught it sooner. When the dash was replaced, due to federal odometer tampering laws, the dealer orders a dash with the odometer set at the same mileage as the old one. Unfortunately, there was a typo on the order sheet saying 143,XXX miles rather than 134,XXX. The only way to get this fixed is to bring the work order in from the dealer showing mileage and have them verify what was ordered from the dash programmer.

Third, you should have done more research. In my experience, the Windstar has been the most unreliable minivan available. You would have been better served by a Caravan, Astro, Sienna or Quest. How you were convinced to pay $12,000 for a vehicle that is worth $2,000 opn a good day is beyond me.:eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">