• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lyrisha

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

I put $1,000 down for a Ford Taurus. While at the car lot the tire was flat and they were charging the battery. Upon signing the papers for the car, the dealer told me that he was going to buy a brand new battery and tire for the car. I left the car at the car lot so that he could add the new items to the car. He later dropped the car off at a family members house. She drove to pick me up from work the same day I bought the car, we drove around to make sure the car was ok. While in a parking lot the car completely died. I tried to restart it, it restarted but as soon as I put the car in reverse it died again. This kept occurring for about 5 minutes. Finally we were able to drive off. At another store I had the same problem. I left the car at my cousins house that night, and called the dealer that next day. He told me that he was going to pick the car up after lunch that same day. The car sat at my cousin's house for about 4 days. I let a mechanic look at the car, and was told that he did not get a new tire or a new battery. He just simply cleaned the old battery off, and aired the old tire. That following week, he came to pick the car up, and supposedly "fixed" the problems. When I got the car back, the heater did not work. It blew cold air, and the car continued to die. The service engine light continued to come on, and the oil light. I called and told the dealer, and he said he would come pick the car up. I told him if the car was not fixed I would come park the car on his lot, and just simply wanted my down payment back. He stressed that he wanted me to have the car, and would fix it. All of this occurred in January, I have not been able to drive the car at all. The heater still does not work, and it continues to die. Should I be able to get my down payment back, plus the money I spent on insurance?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Of course the heater doesn't work - the car hasn't ever been able to warm up if it's continually stalling.

As for getting your money back...you MIGHT get your down payment back through negotiations. However, you won't get your insurance back.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">