• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used Car Dealership Scam

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Drezden

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I'm not sure where to post this, but this seemed the closest to appropriate area.

I am in the process of selling my car to a Hertz used car dealership. Yesterday I took my car in for the final inspection (apparently this is something that they only do the day of the sale right before it's finalized, I did not know this at the time).

They pressured me to make an appointment for this inspection, though I had made it clear on the phone to the salesman that I cannot sell my car for another week while waiting for my new car to arrive.

So the salesman I was dealing with yesterday at the dealership was not the same man I had spoken to on the phone, so this new salesman I met with believed that I was selling my car there and then (I believe this is important to know)

After the inspection he came back with a list of all these things that were wrong with my car and he gave me a much lower buying price than what the other salesman had told me on the phone, I told him I would need a couple days to think about this, and research the problems they had found with my car. At that point he became immediately agitated and panicky and raised the buying price quickly, I explained to him why I couldn't sell my car that day and he was visibly upset and became aggressive saying he could get me a loan car to drive while I wait for my new one so that I could sell it right then. I told him that would not be possible as I'm not 25 and cannot drive rentals. So he left me in the waiting room while he went to go and speak with his colleagues..

When he came back I asked for a copy of the inspection report so that I could research these "problems" they had found.. he did not give me a copy as I asked for, he gave me a note with quickly jotted short-hand for the problems.. very vague. One of the things listed was my a/c. This I found very odd because I've never had a problem with the a/c before.

So anyway I get back in my car to drive back home, when I turn it on the a/c starts making the most horrendous jarring noise no matter what setting it was on.. and my "check engine" light was on, indicating a problem in my car.

In the 2 years I've had the car I never had the check engine light come on, nor did the a/c ever make a noise or have a problem, even as I drove to the dealership no problems.. but right after their inspection all these problems happen.

I have no doubt in my mind that where the a/c is concerned they manufactured a problem, most likely something that would be easy to correct once I sold the car to them, now I can only assume they manufactured more problems indicated by the check engine light.. I believe they caused these problems so they could write it down on the inspection sheet and use that as justification for their extremely low-ball buying price they gave me after the inspection.

This has to be illegal in some way, correct? Do I have any grounds against them? How would I go about proving that my a/c was not malfunctioning and my "check engine" light was not on before the inspection? I greatly appreciate any response.

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I'm not sure where to post this, but this seemed the closest to appropriate area.

I am in the process of selling my car to a Hertz used car dealership, I took my car in for the final inspection (apparently this is something that they only do the day of the sale right before it's finalized, I did not know this at the time).

They pressured me to make an appointment for this inspection, though I had made it clear on the phone to the salesman that I cannot sell my car for another week while waiting for my new car to arrive.

So the salesman I was dealing with yesterday at the dealership was not the same man I had spoken to on the phone, so this new salesman I met with believed that I was selling my car there and then (I believe this is important to know)

After the inspection he came back with a list of all these things that were wrong with my truck and he gave me a much lower price than what we talked about on the phone, I told him I would need a couple days to think about this and he became immediately agitated and panicky and raised the buying price quickly, I explained to him why I couldn't sell my car that day and he was visibly upset and left me in the waiting room while he went to go and speak with his colleagues..

When he came back I asked for a copy of the inspection report so that I could research these "problems" they had found.. he did not give me a copy as I asked for, he gave me a note with quickly jotted short-hand for the problems.. very vague. One of the things listed was my a/c. This I found very odd because I've never had a problem with the a/c before.

So anyway I get back in my truck to drive back home, when I turn it on the a/c starts making the most horrendous jarring noise no matter what setting it was on.. and my "check engine" light was on, indicating a problem in my car.

In the 2 years I've had the car I never had the check engine light come on, nor did the a/c ever make a noise or have a problem, even as I drove to the dealership no problems.. but right after their inspection all these problems happen.

I have no doubt in my mind that where the a/c is concerned they manufactured a problem, most likely something that would be easy to correct once I sold the car to them, now I can only assume they manufactured more problems indicated by the check engine light.. I believe they caused these problems so they could write it down on the inspection sheet and use that as justification for their extremely low-ball buying price they gave me after the inspection.

This has to be illegal in some way, correct? Do I have any grounds against them? How would I go about proving that my a/c was not malfunctioning and my "check engine" light was not on before the inspection? I greatly appreciate any response.

What has your mechanic said about this?

A couple of years ago, I took my car for a SMOG check. It went in running perfectly, but as soon as they hooked up the equipment, the check-engine light came on. It was an absolute coincidence in timing - the seal on the gas cap was defective.

Drezden

I could perhaps believe in one coincidence, but 2? The problem with the a/c could not cause the check engine light to come on, it's at least 2 separate problems that did not exist an hour before the inspection.

I have an appointment for an inspection at a repair shop today, I'm going to specifically mention the a/c and ask them to look for anything that was removed or displaced that would cause the noise.. and I'll be giving them the list of problems the salesman gave me for them to check over and see if they actually exist..etc.. etc..

So if the mechanic either tells me that some of the problems do not exist, or that some of them look to be intentionally created would I have any grounds?

Or could the dealership just claim it was a mistake on the part of their mechanic during the inspection and get away with it?

swalsh411

If you can prove that they deliberately damaged your car (and have an experty testify in court to this, which would be very expensive) you may have a case.

As far as suing them for an inflated list of problems? Forget it. It's not illegal to make up problems to justify a lower bid.

Probably best to just not do business with them.

And FYI there can be something wrong with the A/C or electrical system that would trip the check engine light. It doesn't always mean literally a problem with the engine.

Last edited:

Drezden

The only thing I would be after is compensation for the repair bill to fix the problems that they caused with my a/c which I'm sure would not be more than a couple hundred dollars or less. Not a fancy lawsuit for a ton of money.

Drezden

Thank you both for your responses, I greatly appreciate it.

and FYI my particular truck's check engine light would not be triggered by this problem with the a/c

Zigner

The only thing I would be after is compensation for the repair bill to fix the problems that they caused with my a/c which I'm sure would not be more than a couple hundred dollars or less. Not a fancy lawsuit for a ton of money.

Talk to the mechanic first. If the mechanic says that "xyz" seized up, then it may very well have been the time for "xyz" to seize up.

Zigner

Thank you both for your responses, I greatly appreciate it.

and FYI my particular truck's check engine light would not be triggered by this problem with the a/c
You don't even KNOW what the problem with the a/c is :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">