• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

used car lemon

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

F

fsalas2

used car lemon deal in Virginia

What is the name of your state? Virginia

Hi, I bought a Lexus ES300 15 days ago. I was told that the transmission had been changed a year ago. Guess what? The transmission went out. I bought it in a shop / dealer, but they gave me the title of the car and no other document, so I didn't sign anything. I wrote the check out to the owner of the car. I registered the car already. But I still owe 900 dollars to the previous owner , or the dealer (I've never seen the real owner), they have no document to support this. It is a matter of trust. The guy (dealer / shop owner) took the car and is going to replace the transmission, but I have to pay everything. Do I have a case? Can I use the money I still owe them and discount it from the price of the transmission. Is it just unethical, or unlawful? It is a used car.....

Last edited:

JETX

fsalas2 said:
Hi, I bought a Lexus ES300 15 days ago. I was told that he transmission had been changed a year ago. Guess what? The transmission went out. I bought it in a shop, but they gave me the title of the car and no other document, so I didn't sign anything. I wrote the check out to the owner of the car. I registered the car already. But I still owe 900 dolars to the previous owner , or the dealer, they have no document to support this. It is a matter of trust. The guy (dealer) took the car and is going to replace the transmission, but I have to pay everything. Do I have a case? Can I use the money I still owe them and discount it from the price of the transmission. It is a used car.....
This entire 'purchase' stinks. You have apparently (maybe) purchased a car from someone, but you paid someone else. On top of that, you didn't pay the full amount, and have absolutely NO documents on any of this!! Clearly, this entire transaction is likely headed for major disputes.
However, as for your transmission problem, it sounds like you are likely stuck with the repair. The only chance (and an extremely slim one at that) is if you can somehow show that the seller made the claim "transmission had been changed a year ago" and further prove that was not correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">