• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used Car Purchase

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

danmc79

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey

I purchased a Used 2008 Chevy Uplander on June 27th. We have found a couple things wrong with the Van and called the dealership. They asked us to bring the Van in to look at it a week after we called. They are now telling us that they will be charging us to look at it and fix any problems. Don't i have 30 days to get any problems fixed at no cost to me? Is there anything i can do to get this stuff fixed by the dealership without paying for it. Since obviously when they sold me this Van it had these problems.

danmc79

Used Car Purchase, PLEASE HELP

I purchased a Used 2008 Chevy Uplander on June 27th. We have found a couple things wrong with the Van and called the dealership. They asked us to bring the Van in to look at it a week after we called. They are now telling us that they will be charging us to look at it and fix any problems. Don't i have 30 days to get any problems fixed at no cost to me? Is there anything i can do to get this stuff fixed by the dealership without paying for it. Since obviously when they sold me this Van it had these problems.[/QUOTE]

OHRoadwarrior

Did the vehicle come with a written warranty? Do the issues fall within the terms of the warranty? Otherwise enjoy your vehicle.

sandyclaus

I purchased a Used 2008 Chevy Uplander on June 27th. We have found a couple things wrong with the Van and called the dealership. They asked us to bring the Van in to look at it a week after we called. They are now telling us that they will be charging us to look at it and fix any problems. Don't i have 30 days to get any problems fixed at no cost to me? Is there anything i can do to get this stuff fixed by the dealership without paying for it. Since obviously when they sold me this Van it had these problems.
Used vehicles are considered AS-IS sales unless the seller provides you with a WRITTEN warranty or guarantee of fitness. That's where the saying "Caveat Emptor/Buyer Beware" comes from. It's unfortunately NOT that unusual for a seller to sell off a vehicle that they know has problems. Unless the buyer is an expert, it is ALWAYS recommended that they have the vehicle looked over by their own private mechanic to verify the condition of the vehicle BEFORE purchase. Once you buy, it's yours - problems and all.

Bottom line, if the dealer did not offer you any kind of written warranty promising they would fix any problems within the first 30 days after purchase, then you will be charged for any repairs they do for you. Without said warranty, they are under no obligation to repair anything, and especially not for free.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">