• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

"as is" used car sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

R

rdianiz

What is the name of your state? CA, San Jose.
I sold a used car that's over 15 years old, "as is" condition written on a document with the buyers signature. About 2 weeks later the buyer calls back and demands me to pay for a broken water pump that caused the car to overheat and possibly more damages.

Prior to sale, the buyer brought his son/mechanic to inspect the car and didn't find anything. The buyer claims that I didn't tell him about the broken water pump which I didn't know anything about it.

The buyer demands for me to pay or take me to court. What do I do? I thought I did everything right with the bill of sale, "as is" written on it. Am I liable for the repairs/damages? Please help...

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

rdianiz said:
What is the name of your state? CA, San Jose.
I sold a used car that's over 15 years old, "as is" condition written on a document with the buyers signature. About 2 weeks later the buyer calls back and demands me to pay for a broken water pump that caused the car to overheat and possibly more damages.

Prior to sale, the buyer brought his son/mechanic to inspect the car and didn't find anything. The buyer claims that I didn't tell him about the broken water pump which I didn't know anything about it.

The buyer demands for me to pay or take me to court. What do I do? I thought I did everything right with the bill of sale, "as is" written on it. Am I liable for the repairs/damages? Please help...

My response:

You have nothing to fear. Let him take you to court - - you did everything correctly. You will win. For him, it's called "Caveat Emptor".

IAAL

i wouldn't worry about him. he is obviously suffering from buyer's remorse and that is NOT your problem. :)

you sold a car as is and to the best of your knowledge in good condition and the purchaser had a mechanic check it out to verify that it was in fact in good condition.....that's a bonus for you :D

hopefully this man will figure out that this frivilous lawsuit :rolleyes: will get him nowhere ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">