• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

used car smog failed ca

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

joeschmoeno

What is the name of your state?
California

I purchased a used car yesterday and was told the car was in good working condition. Moreover, I was assured that the car would certainly pass the smog check (due in 2 months), and that I could return the car to the seller if something major happened within a week after buying it (though I understand verbal contracts are probably not enforceable).

Today I took the car to the smog inspection station, and was told that the test failed. I would have to pay $500 to reset the timing, and then the emissions levels may change and the test still fail, with more work required.

They told me at the shop that the seller is responsible for the car passing the smog check. The wording on the DMV web site, while vague, seems to confirm this. At the DMV they suggested I could recover the $2k I paid for the vehicle from the seller, and essentially reverse the sale, since the transaction isn't final until the smog check passes and the car is registered.

I did not sign any "as is" clauses on a bill of sale. In fact, there is no bill of sale, only the seller's signed title in my possession, and the paperwork that I started at the DMV to transfer the car to me.

Is the seller legally liable to take the car back and return my $2k, or at least to pay for all of the repairs needed to bring it up to pass inspection?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank-you.

poolguppie

At least I'm not alone

State: California

I'm sorry I don't have any advice for you. The thing is, almost the same thing happenned to me. I paid $2,000 for a car and was told that it would definetly pass smog. I took the car in a few days later and it didn't. The guy agreed to trade the car back to me for the amount I paid, but he seems to be giving me the runaround. It's been two months now and I'm afraid it might have to go to small claims court to get it resolved.

I would also like to beg for any legal advice I can get. It would be a big help.

Thank You.

dallas702

I'm pretty sure licensed CA dealers are required to sell cars that pass emissions tests. There are major penalties for noncompliance with this...even the loss of their dealer's license. Get the law in hand and go back to the dealer. Either he makes it pass, or you undo the deal...and report him. Give him the ultimatum.

No Bill of Sale? How about a sales contract? What kind of a "dealer" is this...dirt lot between abandoned shopping centers? Is his office on wheels? Better get back there fast!

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">