• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used computer broken on arrival

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Falmont

Buffalo ny
I purchased a used computer from an individual who sells refurbished/used computers obtained from a business that upgrades often. The computer was shown to be working at his place, but upon startup at mine was having graphics issues. After inspection, the issue seems to be the motherboard. This issue in particular would not be caused by physical damage (none occurred in transportation anyways) and is almost certainly a result of old hardware. Since the hardware is still in the process of dying, it's issues are intermittent and I don't believe the individual intentionally sold me a malfunctioning computer. I contacted this person and they said "it was working when it was here and I don't know what you did to it once it left". I have a signed receipt for the transaction. Is there anything I can do about this? Is there a lemon law for used computers?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Buffalo ny
I purchased a used computer from an individual who sells refurbished/used computers obtained from a business that upgrades often. The computer was shown to be working at his place, but upon startup at mine was having graphics issues. After inspection, the issue seems to be the motherboard. This issue in particular would not be caused by physical damage (none occurred in transportation anyways) and is almost certainly a result of old hardware. Since the hardware is still in the process of dying, it's issues are intermittent and I don't believe the individual intentionally sold me a malfunctioning computer. I contacted this person and they said "it was working when it was here and I don't know what you did to it once it left". I have a signed receipt for the transaction. Is there anything I can do about this? Is there a lemon law for used computers?
You can find a place to repair it. I'm sure there are plenty of shops local to you.

adjusterjack

I contacted this person and they said "it was working when it was here and I don't know what you did to it once it left". I have a signed receipt for the transaction. Is there anything I can do about this? Is there a lemon law for used computers?
Nope, no lemon law for used computers.

Did you get a written warranty?

If not, then you bought it as is and took your chances.

Dandy Don

How much did you spend on this and was it a desktop or a laptop?

Computers are much more affordable nowadays since prices have come down. You would be much better off buying a new one for a few hundred dollars than taking a chance on an older model.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">