• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used Jaguar issues - any options?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

haha0002

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

In June 2015 we purchased a used 2005 Jag as is. Almost immediately, it had a suspension fault light come on, but it would occur sporadically, so my husband lived with it. Also noted, was an issue with the gas tank, where, when filled up, would smell of gas so badly, that it would enter into our house via the attached garage. We figured it was an as is sale, so we were stuck. Last week, due to the air suspension fault warning coming on daily now, my husband took it to the mechanic that the previous owner had taken it to - the Carfax report showed where the previous owner took it. The repair estimate is about $10,000 including the suspension issues and gas tank fix and the mechanic told my husband that he had told the previous owner about all the suspension/shocks/struts work it needed. So, this was an obvious existing issue. I feel like the dealership didn't even look this vehicle over. In fact, our salesman used to sell Jag's and went on about what great shape this car was in. Which I realize is the usual puffing and in hindsight, we should've had the car checked by an independent mechanic. I made the assumption that, being a huge, local Honda dealership with repair facilities on site, that they would've had to bring the vehicle to a certain condition of driveability. Obviously we're not investing that level of funds into the car and in 8 months, we've lost $10,000 on a bad deal. We actually purchased 2 cars at once and the other had issues also, as well as a crack in the bumper, which was concealed at the time of viewing the car. Is there anything at all that we can do? This dealership is very unresponsive and has several negative reviews for the same sort of seemingly shady practices. Thank you.

justalayman

A dealer is not required to "look a car over" and is actuslly better off if they don't. That way when they say they aren't aware of any problems it is truthful.

So, can you point to any actual untrue statements made by the dealer?

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
Enjoy your lack of having a life. Oh wait, maybe you're 12.
Enjoy the Jag.

You and your husband had opportunity to get the car inspected by a trusted mechanic before you purchased it 'As-Is' (which means you are responsible if anything goes wrong). :cool:

OHRoadwarrior

Rule number 1, never buy a really expensive old used car. The cost of one repair can exceed the cars value. If you bought the car as is without a warranty, you own the car as is without a warranty.

latigo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington State

In June 2015 we purchased a used 2005 Jag as is. Almost immediately, it had a suspension fault light come on, but it would occur sporadically, so my husband lived with it. Also noted, was an issue with the gas tank, where, when filled up, would smell of gas so badly, that it would enter into our house via the attached garage. We figured it was an as is sale, so we were stuck. Last week, due to the air suspension fault warning coming on daily now, my husband took it to the mechanic that the previous owner had taken it to - the Carfax report showed where the previous owner took it. The repair estimate is about $10,000 including the suspension issues and gas tank fix and the mechanic told my husband that he had told the previous owner about all the suspension/shocks/struts work it needed. So, this was an obvious existing issue. I feel like the dealership didn't even look this vehicle over. In fact, our salesman used to sell Jag's and went on about what great shape this car was in. Which I realize is the usual puffing and in hindsight, we should've had the car checked by an independent mechanic. I made the assumption that, being a huge, local Honda dealership with repair facilities on site, that they would've had to bring the vehicle to a certain condition of driveability. Obviously we're not investing that level of funds into the car and in 8 months, we've lost $10,000 on a bad deal. We actually purchased 2 cars at once and the other had issues also, as well as a crack in the bumper, which was concealed at the time of viewing the car. Is there anything at all that we can do? This dealership is very unresponsive and has several negative reviews for the same sort of seemingly shady practices. Thank you.
You might do what a friend did that once made the same mistake. Arrange with the shop for visiting hours so you can admire your purchase. Or put it on a trailer and tow it about the city for others to admire.

[SUP] "If attacked by a Jaguar thrust your arm down its throat.
This takes some practice
." Cyril Connelly [/SUP]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">