• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used Truck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cseaton

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

I don't think the lemon law will apply to this situation, but I am wondering if there is any other law that does apply to it.

I found a used truck on Craigslist. We went and looked at it and purchased it a few days later. The guy we bought it from said he had just had a new transmission put in it and there were no other problems. There was a little oil leaking, and my husband and the guy selling it both looked and the guy selling it said it was from the mechanic not putting a new seal between the motor and transmission. After we got home, we realized the brake light and blinkers did not work. Two days later after purchase, there is a bad pinging and my husband looked under it again, going from the side under the truck rather than looking from going under the front of the truck and realized that there is only one bolt hold the transmission up instead of two and there is a gap between the transmission and the motor.

I feel like we have been taken advantage of and don't know what to do. I there any way we can try to get out money back?

Your advice is much appreciated.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken

I don't think the lemon law will apply to this situation, but I am wondering if there is any other law that does apply to it.

I found a used truck on Craigslist. We went and looked at it and purchased it a few days later. The guy we bought it from said he had just had a new transmission put in it and there were no other problems. There was a little oil leaking, and my husband and the guy selling it both looked and the guy selling it said it was from the mechanic not putting a new seal between the motor and transmission. After we got home, we realized the brake light and blinkers did not work. Two days later after purchase, there is a bad pinging and my husband looked under it again, going from the side under the truck rather than looking from going under the front of the truck and realized that there is only one bolt hold the transmission up instead of two and there is a gap between the transmission and the motor.

I feel like we have been taken advantage of and don't know what to do. I there any way we can try to get out money back?

Used vehicles are sold AS-IS. Lemon laws do not apply. Why did you not take it to your mechanic to check it out before you handed over the money? And since you didn't, you're stuck with a truck with problems. Hope the repairs don't cost too much. :cool:

Kiawah

Well as you realize, you should have had it professionally inspected prior to buying it, you own it now. You could have walked without buying, or negotiated a MUCH better price knowing that you'd have to spend money to fix it up.

WIth a gap between engine and transmission, sounds like it either isn't installed correctly, or it's the wrong transmission.

You need to quickly figure out whether you want to throw more money into trying to fix this transmission and engine leak (and whatever other problems the vehicle has), or take a loss and sell it as is.

sandyclaus

Sorry, but all private-party used vehicle sales are considered "AS-IS" unless the seller provides you with a specific WRITTEN warranty or guarantee of fitness.

Unfortunately, many private sellers will say just about anything just to get rid of their vehicles. In a court of law, it's difficult to determine the truth just by what is said, which is why "if it ain't in writing, it never happened".

For this reason, you will hear us telling you that you should ALWAYS have the vehicle fully inspected by YOUR OWN MECHANIC prior to purchasing. If you are not mechanically inclined, a professional mechanic can tell you what is and is not wrong with the vehicle, so that you can make an informed decision about whether or not to buy and whether the asking price is fair given the condition of the vehicle. If you DON'T take the time to have the vehicle inspected prior to purchasing, then you end up taking the vehicle AS-IS, exactly as you find it, with all it's problems.

Because you did not have the vehicle inspected first, you bought the vehicle blind, not knowing what the real issues and condition of that truck really were. Unfortunately for you, that is not the seller's fault, and now it will be YOUR problem to deal with.

You could certainly sue to try to recover your money, but it's highly unlikely you would win.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">