• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Used truck in shop for unknown period of time.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

chewy400

I purchased a used 2011 pick-up truck from a dealer in ohio on 4/14/15. Truck stalled in driveway on 7/ 18/15 and would not restart. Truck was towed to selling dealer at my cost. Truck was purchased with a warranty. Had only 54500 miles at purchase time and i probably only added 1500 miles since purchased. Truck has been in dealers control for over two weeks now. Still no time frame given for repair completion. Was told that one part may not be available until 8/28/15. That would be six weeks in their control, and they are still not sure if this part is going to fix the problem. Dealer will not supply a loaner car. Insist that i could have a rental for a discounted price of 30.00 a day. Are you kidding me? I need my truck. I purchased a truck because i need a truck. Many summer plans had to be changed or cancelled because of this. Do i have any legal rights, or do they have all the time in the world to fix it?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I purchased a used 2011 pick-up truck from a dealer in ohio on 4/14/15. Truck stalled in driveway on 7/ 18/15 and would not restart. Truck was towed to selling dealer at my cost. Truck was purchased with a warranty. Had only 54500 miles at purchase time and i probably only added 1500 miles since purchased. Truck has been in dealers control for over two weeks now. Still no time frame given for repair completion. Was told that one part may not be available until 8/28/15. That would be six weeks in their control, and they are still not sure if this part is going to fix the problem. Dealer will not supply a loaner car. Insist that i could have a rental for a discounted price of 30.00 a day. Are you kidding me? I need my truck. I purchased a truck because i need a truck. Many summer plans had to be changed or cancelled because of this. Do i have any legal rights, or do they have all the time in the world to fix it?
If they don't have a part, how do you expect them to fix it?

Does your warranty allow for a loaner car?

chewy400

If they don't have a part, how do you expect them to fix it?

Does your warranty allow for a loaner car?
Warranty does not cover a loaner car, if they did I wouldn't be posting this thread. I expect the dealer to fix it in a reasonable amount of time, and if they don't have the part or cant get the part in a reasonable amount of time, I would think they could give me a loaner until my vehicle is repaired. There is a serious problem if a Ford dealer cant get a Ford part in 2 weeks time on a popular, less than 5 years old Ford vehicle. I would consider 2 weeks a reasonable amount of time. If there is no time frame established by law, on the time of repair, they could, take 6 months, or as long as they wanted to repair it, while I continue to make payments and have nothing to drive. I am not trying to get out of this sale unless this continues for a long period of time. I just want something to drive, it doesn't have to be new, or it doesn't have to be a truck, just a car to use at no cost to me until mine is repaired. So back to the original question. Do I have any legal rights.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Warranty does not cover a loaner car, if they did I wouldn't be posting this thread. I expect the dealer to fix it in a reasonable amount of time, and if they don't have the part or cant get the part in a reasonable amount of time, I would think they could give me a loaner until my vehicle is repaired. There is a serious problem if a Ford dealer cant get a Ford part in 2 weeks time on a popular, less than 5 years old Ford vehicle. I would consider 2 weeks a reasonable amount of time. If there is no time frame established by law, on the time of repair, they could, take 6 months, or as long as they wanted to repair it, while I continue to make payments and have nothing to drive. I am not trying to get out of this sale unless this continues for a long period of time. I just want something to drive, it doesn't have to be new, or it doesn't have to be a truck, just a car to use at no cost to me until mine is repaired. So back to the original question. Do I have any legal rights.
You're not getting out of your vehicle purchase, so you don't need to worry about that.

Is this an aftermarket warranty (ie: a "service contract"), or is it a manufacturers warranty?

chewy400

You're not getting out of your vehicle purchase, so you don't need to worry about that.

Is this an aftermarket warranty (ie: a "service contract"), or is it a manufacturers warranty?
Thanks for trying. Issue is resolved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">