• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle Sold w/ No Title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Seth86

Hello, I'm out here in Illinois and I have a problem. I purchased a 2001 F150 from a gentleman for $4900. I didn't have all the cash so I made an arrangement with him to make payments. True to my word I paid it off as arranged within the 6 months. Now that he had the money he had too wait for the title from Harris bank. No problem, this guy has a home valued at $3.5 million. I don't think it should be a problem. Well over a year later I am still waiting for my title and I moved from Illinois to Florida since. I have no idea how to handle this. I have the bill of sale, and I kept all of my deposit receipts when I deposited the money into his bank. If I take him to small claims I think I have to go back to Illinois for the trial which I cant afford to do. Help!

Mass_Shyster

Hello, I'm out here in Illinois and I have a problem. I purchased a 2001 F150 from a gentleman for $4900. I didn't have all the cash so I made an arrangement with him to make payments. True to my word I paid it off as arranged within the 6 months. Now that he had the money he had too wait for the title from Harris bank. No problem, this guy has a home valued at $3.5 million. I don't think it should be a problem. Well over a year later I am still waiting for my title and I moved from Illinois to Florida since. I have no idea how to handle this. I have the bill of sale, and I kept all of my deposit receipts when I deposited the money into his bank. If I take him to small claims I think I have to go back to Illinois for the trial which I cant afford to do. Help!
Send a letter, certified, return receipt requested, demanding the title be mailed to you with 15 days, or further legal action may be taken.

See if you can file suit in IL by mail. If he still hasn't provided the title by the court date, you'll have to decide if it's worth traveling to IL for a $4900 truck.

Seth86

Thank you very much for the quick reply. I will do that. I am also contacting my attorney back in Illinois.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">