• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What can I do??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Shifflett78

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I bought a 1987 Toyota pickup from a family member a week ago. I paid 1,000.00 down and I owe 1,000.00 (final payment) in two weeks.
I went to get an inspection sticker and found out that the frame was broke, wiring is messed up which makes the turn signals not work, wheel studs, rotors, and it is too high by va law so it would not pass inspection.
I called the family member to see if they would take the truck back and return the money, or I would give 500.00 instead of 1,000.00 (due to repairs) and I get the title. Of course they said no and if I didn't have the 1,000.00 paid in two weeks they were going to repo the truck.
Is there anything I can legally do?? :eek:

sandyclaus

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia

I bought a 1987 Toyota pickup from a family member a week ago. I paid 1,000.00 down and I owe 1,000.00 (final payment) in two weeks.
I went to get an inspection sticker and found out that the frame was broke, wiring is messed up which makes the turn signals not work, wheel studs, rotors, and it is too high by va law so it would not pass inspection.
I called the family member to see if they would take the truck back and return the money, or I would give 500.00 instead of 1,000.00 (due to repairs) and I get the title. Of course they said no and if I didn't have the 1,000.00 paid in two weeks they were going to repo the truck.
Is there anything I can legally do?? :eek:
What did your mechanic say about the vehicle when you took it to them for an inspection prior to buying the pickup? Let me guess - you never took the vehicle to a mechanic to inspect it? :eek: Bad move on your part. :(

Just about all private party auto sales are considered "AS IS". Simply put, you buy the vehicle as you find it, unless the seller provides you with a written warranty or guarantee of fitness. This is the reason why you should ALWAYS have your own private mechanic look the vehicle over to see if there are any mechanical or condition issues which could affect its value or performance.

Your failure to take proper steps to get a professional evaluation of the vehicle prior to buying it makes it YOUR problem, not the seller's. I'm certain that a mechanic could have found these issues you speak of during a pre-sale inspection, which in turn would have allowed you to make a more informed decision of whether or not to buy it and at what price.

You are obligated to the sales agreement you made to buy the vehicle exactly as you found it. Either pay the $1,000 you still owe on the pickup or they can legally repossess it. (And if they do that, not only will you be out the vehicle, but also out the money you already spent on the pickup.)

dmcc10880

What did your mechanic say about the vehicle when you took it to them for an inspection prior to buying the pickup? Let me guess - you never took the vehicle to a mechanic to inspect it? :eek: Bad move on your part. :(

Just about all private party auto sales are considered "AS IS". Simply put, you buy the vehicle as you find it, unless the seller provides you with a written warranty or guarantee of fitness. This is the reason why you should ALWAYS have your own private mechanic look the vehicle over to see if there are any mechanical or condition issues which could affect its value or performance.

Your failure to take proper steps to get a professional evaluation of the vehicle prior to buying it makes it YOUR problem, not the seller's. I'm certain that a mechanic could have found these issues you speak of during a pre-sale inspection, which in turn would have allowed you to make a more informed decision of whether or not to buy it and at what price.

You are obligated to the sales agreement you made to buy the vehicle exactly as you found it. Either pay the $1,000 you still owe on the pickup or they can legally repossess it. (And if they do that, not only will you be out the vehicle, but also out the money you already spent on the pickup.)
Ca-ching! You got it from Sandyclaus. So goes the saying "If you can't trust family, who can you trust?" Enjoy your truck and the lovely holiday dinners that you all will share. Sorry for the sarcasm, but I couldn't help it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">