• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what to do

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

genniesportsman

Kansas

I traded my car in about 7 years ago for this van that quit working 2 days after i bought it. I returned the vban to the dealer and never heard from this dealer again. After all this time he comes walking in to my palce of employment and informs me that his business got broke in to and they vandalised my car and he never filed my title with the state of kansas so we needed to file for a lost one. so that means that the title is still in my name. well he needed to a place to park the car for awhile and so i let him bring it to my house. it needs a new windshield front and rear as well as a new side window. and he fixed the problem with the exhuast. Well sitting in my living room yesterday he says that the way he sees it is that it is his car and he owes me nothing. but shouldn't he at least give me my 400 since that was what he gave me trade in for the van that he also has now in his possesio:mad::confused::eek:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
Kansas

I traded my car in about 7 years ago for this van that quit working 2 days after i bought it. I returned the vban to the dealer and never heard from this dealer again. After all this time he comes walking in to my palce of employment and informs me that his business got broke in to and they vandalised my car and he never filed my title with the state of kansas so we needed to file for a lost one. so that means that the title is still in my name. well he needed to a place to park the car for awhile and so i let him bring it to my house. it needs a new windshield front and rear as well as a new side window. and he fixed the problem with the exhuast. Well sitting in my living room yesterday he says that the way he sees it is that it is his car and he owes me nothing. but shouldn't he at least give me my 400 since that was what he gave me trade in for the van that he also has now in his possesio:mad::confused::eek:
SEVEN YEARS AGO? What did you do about it seven years ago? Why didn't you deal with your car at that point in time? Why did you let this dealer park the car at your house? None of this makes any sense.

nanu156

So....

1. you are in possession of the vehicle in question?
2. the vehicle is still in your name?
3. the vehicle runs and is of some value?

I would believe that legally the vehicle belongs to you unless there are contracts etc that prove otherwise.

You should have handled this stuff 7yrs ago... Was he a legitimate dealer? I mean what kind of dealer holds onto a used car for 7 years???

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">