• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

what do I do???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

GGRAE

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? mI live in Ohio, and I bought a vehicle from a private person not a dealer. We drove an hour away to look at and test drive the 1999 ( 2000 motor in it) Durango on Jan.29th 2010 (yesterday). got 45 min into our drive back home after buying it and all the sudden the oil pressure gauge went to 0 and heard loud constant knocking or banging. We called the man who we bought if froma dn he said there is nothing he can do. there was no contract or anything that said "as is" and the ad that was posted said great reliable vehicle and nothing wrong with it. I still have the ad. He wanted $5,000 for it and we payed $4,400. Please is there anything I can do to have the previous owner fix it or give me my money back. thank you

GGRAE

Response

My husband is mechanically inclined and he test drove it, we didn't take it to a "mechanic" the man that sold it to us works or owns an auto body shop. A few people ahve looked at it and said a few things but the major one is I need a new motor.

cyjeff

My husband is mechanically inclined and he test drove it, we didn't take it to a "mechanic" the man that sold it to us works or owns an auto body shop. A few people ahve looked at it and said a few things but the major one is I need a new motor.
Then enjoy your new car.

If you did not take it to a mechanic first to inspect the damage and negotiate a warranty, you don't have one.

gogo589

Sounds like you're learning what you should have done the hard way. I also claim to be "mechanically inclined", but I would NEVER risk my hard earned money on a vehicle I looked at. ALWAYS take it to a certified mechanic. They might charge you $100 or so, but I'd rather spend that then $4400 to figure out what is wrong with the vehicle.

Typically when you buy a used vehicle from a private party, it is assumed you are buying the vehicle "as is" unless you have some kind of warranty in writing. You can plead with the previous owner, but he's already said there's nothing he can do.

Out of pure curiosity, why does a 1999 durango have a 2000 motor in it?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">