• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens when you let someone else sell your car for you?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deizy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello everyone! I was leaving the country and needed to sell my car and my landlord (who I was renting from) offered to sell it for me. I didn't really have a choice (because the lack of time) and agreed, left the car, key and title (didn't transfer) to him (no contract was made or power of attorney was giving). After 4 months I reached out for him and he told me that he spent $1400(!) to fix the car and didn't sell it yet. The car is a 2002 MBZ C230 and probably cost $2000 at the most, so spending that much money is just nonsense, not even worth it. Yes, it needed detailing and check engine light was on (Mass air filter caused the problem) and it would be OK to fix that, but nothing more and extra like he did (oil change and etc). When I left the car with him it was working and running good and now he tells me that battery died and it will cost more to change them.
I posted ads myself and even found the buyer who wanted to get the car, but the landlord told me he is not available at that time and cannot meet with the buyer. :mad:
He didn't ask me if it was OK to do all of that to a car. I didn't ask him to fix the car, just to sell it as is for as much as possible. But now I will get nothing, because of all he did on his own. I wanted to get the car and my friend was going to sell it at his friend's dealership to make a bit more money, but now the landlord will not give the car to me without me paying him $1400 first (and he didn't even prove that he spent that amount). Can he legally keep the car now? What are my options? Should I be responsible for all that he did on his own to my car? It's hard for me to do something since I am still out of the country. A friend of mine can help me with it, but I have no clue what to do in a case like this. So any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hello everyone! I was leaving the country and needed to sell my car and my landlord (who I was renting from) offered to sell it for me. I didn't really have a choice (because the lack of time) and agreed, left the car, key and title (didn't transfer) to him (no contract was made or power of attorney was giving). After 4 months I reached out for him and he told me that he spent $1400(!) to fix the car and didn't sell it yet. The car is a 2002 MBZ C230 and probably cost $2000 at the most, so spending that much money is just nonsense, not even worth it. Yes, it needed detailing and check engine light was on (Mass air filter caused the problem) and it would be OK to fix that, but nothing more and extra like he did (oil change and etc). When I left the car with him it was working and running good and now he tells me that battery died and it will cost more to change them.
I posted ads myself and even found the buyer who wanted to get the car, but the landlord told me he is not available at that time and cannot meet with the buyer. :mad:
He didn't ask me if it was OK to do all of that to a car. I didn't ask him to fix the car, just to sell it as is for as much as possible. But now I will get nothing, because of all he did on his own. I wanted to get the car and my friend was going to sell it at his friend's dealership to make a bit more money, but now the landlord will not give the car to me without me paying him $1400 first (and he didn't even prove that he spent that amount). Can he legally keep the car now? What are my options? Should I be responsible for all that he did on his own to my car? It's hard for me to do something since I am still out of the country. A friend of mine can help me with it, but I have no clue what to do in a case like this. So any advice would be highly appreciated. Thanks a lot!
You will need to be in the country to deal with this matter.

deizy

Thank you for your reply! I wish.. but can't. If I give a power of attorney to a friend of mine, can he do something about it on my behalf?

Thank you for your reply! I wish.. but can't. If I give a power of attorney to a friend of mine, can he do something about it on my behalf?
Sure if your friend is an Attorney. IN THIS COUNTRY.
What you're asking goes a little beyond the scope of what a PO is used for.

..___________________
~ Do not look where you fell,
but where you slipped. ~ African proverb

adjusterjack

You made a colossal mistake.

Did you wake up one morning and say "I have to leave the country today, here's my car, sell it for me."

Or did you have some time between the decision to leave and the departure? If you had any time at all you could have gotten the MAF replaced, got your Smog certificate, put the car on Craigslist cheap, and unloaded it within a couple of days.

Now, your options are to hire a lawyer in CA or let it go.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">