• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What will they do to me? returned a truck

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ldyroper

What is the name of your state? North Dakota

I looked at a used truck on Wednsday, signed a purchase agreement, it was sold as is- no warrenty. I gave them a check in full to hold till following Monday. I didnt pick up the truck until Thursday. Took it home, - the oil pressure gauge moved up and down, and transmission seemed hesistant, and funny. Friday I had the tranny checked at a reputable shop, and was told it was going out, Id be replacing it shortly. And it had been worked onbefore.
I took the truck back to the dealer, told them of the problems, that I did not want the truck. I did not want to deal with problems. I was told it was in great shape. I had cancelled my check, and was returning the truck. They wouldnt take the keys from me saying I own the vehicle. I put the keys on the front seat and left.
The back of my sales agreement says "Due to circumstances beyond control, we are unable to finalize this transaction today. They (the dealer) has 5 business days to secure financing for you or you will be required to return this vehicle."
I returned the truck within 24 hrs of picking it up, and cancelled my check.
Do they have any recourse on me? They have the truck, they can resell it.

Happy Trails

ldyroper said:
What is the name of your state? North Dakota

I looked at a used truck on Wednsday, signed a purchase agreement, it was sold as is- no warrenty. I gave them a check in full to hold till following Monday. I didnt pick up the truck until Thursday. Took it home, - the oil pressure gauge moved up and down, and transmission seemed hesistant, and funny. Friday I had the tranny checked at a reputable shop, and was told it was going out, Id be replacing it shortly. And it had been worked onbefore.
I took the truck back to the dealer, told them of the problems, that I did not want the truck. I did not want to deal with problems. I was told it was in great shape. I had cancelled my check, and was returning the truck. They wouldnt take the keys from me saying I own the vehicle. I put the keys on the front seat and left.
The back of my sales agreement says "Due to circumstances beyond control, we are unable to finalize this transaction today. They (the dealer) has 5 business days to secure financing for you or you will be required to return this vehicle."
I returned the truck within 24 hrs of picking it up, and cancelled my check.
Do they have any recourse on me? They have the truck, they can resell it.
It doesn't go by when you took possession, it goes by when the agreement was made. In this case Wednesday. You should have had a mechanic inspect it prior to agreement.

ldyroper

If their contract wouldnt be binding for 5 Business days, as stated on the back of the contract, wouldnt that mean I would have 5 days as well?
They are not out any money, have the truck back, They can sell if for a lot more than what they sold it to me for. I wouldnt think theyd want to spend all the money taking me to court for this.

Happy Trails

ldyroper said:
If their contract wouldnt be binding for 5 Business days, as stated on the back of the contract, wouldnt that mean I would have 5 days as well?
They are not out any money, have the truck back, They can sell if for a lot more than what they sold it to me for. I wouldnt think theyd want to spend all the money taking me to court for this.
Let's see you signed agreement on Wednesday....Thursday (1), Friday (2), Monday (3), Tuesday (4), Wednesday (5). You pick up truck Thursday and on Friday you have it inspected (something that should have been done prior to agreement). Decide it is not worth it stop payment and want to back out of the agreement.

If any of that is wrong, please correct.

You Are Guilty

Incidentally, the oil pressure gauge is supposed to move up and down. It's broken when it doesn't do that. And a rebuilt transmission really isn't anything to worry about either. I smell buyers remorse.

ldyroper

Signed on Wednsday (1) picked it up Thursday (2) brought it back on Friday (3). 3 days. You know how pushey salesmen are. Im sure they wouldnt have let me take it for a day to have my mechanic check it out. Only THEIR dealership mechanic.

ldyroper

Update- got my money back

The truck is back for sale on the lot, and I recieved a full refund. Havent heard about any lawsuit as of yet.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">