• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong vin on contracts

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Janitra46

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia

My husband bought a used 03 toyota camry two weeks ago from a used car dealership. It seemed real nice until 2 days ago my husband was coming back from out of county and the check engine light came on and oil light came on. When he bought the car the guy said he changed the oil. My husband took the car to a toyota dealership and they did a thorough inspection and diagnostics and discovered that the engine is badly covered in oil sludge. So bad that the engine has to be disensembled and cleaned or we would have to at least buy a new used engine for a minimum of $4,000. Either way is pretty pricey. Upon further review, my husband has discovered that all the sign contracts on the car have the wrong vin number. The vin number on the contracts is for an 04 camry colored blue. The car we bought is gold. So is it possible to go back tomthe dealership and tell them that this is not the car we bought indicating the wrong vin on the contracts. And tell them that you give us this car that we signed for or give us our money back. I do realize that my husband did impulse buy and did not have it inspected and its biting our butts now. They even gave us a carfax for our car with the correct vin number. So I have a feeling that there could be fraud involving the contracts with the wrong vin and it wasn't just a typo.

swalsh411

By accepting delivery of the vehicle (driving it home) your husband was agreeing that any descrepancy in the paperwork was ok with him.

This is why you have an independent mechanic inspect a used car before you buy it.

OHRoadwarrior

Actually, not exactly true swalsh411. The first step appears to be contacting the dealership and determining what they plan on doing about giving you the wrong title. It appears you obtained the vehicle you bargained for at the price you wanted to pay. Absent a warranty, GA does not have a used car lemon law. It does appear you have a cause of action for potential refund, IF the dealer cannot provide the correct title to your car. The second question becomes what happened to the other car.

ecmst12

If the VIN on the title matches the one on the car, then he doesn't have the wrong title. He has a mistake on the contract, but I really don't think that's going to allow him to return the car for a full refund. I'm not sure what either of you expected from a 10 year old car anyway.

swalsh411

He DID buy the 03 gold car. That's the car he accepted delivery of and the title he received. The typo was on the paperwork only.

OHRoadwarrior

He DID buy the 03 gold car. That's the car he accepted delivery of and the title he received. The typo was on the paperwork only.
As I noted, they received the item they purchased. They have not indicated the title, application for which is a part of the "paperwork" with the incorrect VIN came corrected. If it does come and is the correct title, their recourse is to file a complaint with OAG and see what happens. If the paperwork is flawed and the title then is flawed, they need to approach the dealer for the correct title.

Janitra46

The dealership filed the paperwork for our title with the wrong vin number. And i called the tag office and told me that there is nothing filed yet for either vin number or for the temporary tag. That raises a red flag with me.

Janitra46

And we already paid $18 for the title with the TAVT wth the dealer. We have the copy of the form and transaction with wrong vin number.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">