• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong VIN # on Texas title

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

D

Dotiecom

What is the name of your state? OHIO

I bought a classic car (1955) in Texas. Trailored it home to Ohio. Realized the VIN # on the Texas Title was not the same as the VIN on the car. Two totally different numbers. The VIN # on the car is correct. Gives the whole history of the car, ( where is was built and etc ) The VIN # on the title is a complete different number. Actually could of been an old motor number from years ago or maybe a whole new car. No idea.

No state including mine is going to put their "seal of approval" on this. Most all states inspect out of state vehicles prior to issuing a new title. Ohio is no different.

I have called the person I bought the car from numerous times. This has gone on for months now. BIG RUN AROUND. I am in Ohio, they are in Texas with my money and I am sitting here with a classic car and a bogus title.

What can I do? I need someone in Texas who can fight for me. What are my rights? I am at my wits end.

Thanks

D

D.B. Cooper

I do not know the answer, however I was involved in a similar situation with a classic pantera. Two different vins, went to dmv inspection expecting a battle, they picked what they felt was the original vin, passed the car, and titled it. It was not a big deal to them, which suprised me. The inspector told me he had seen this before on older cars, he actually gave me a simple explanation for it. Maybe in your case just give it a try and see what happens.

Dandy Don

Do a GOOGLE (or any other search engine) search using the phrase, in quotation marks, "Texas Department of Motor Vehicles" and you should be able to connect to their official site. They have undoubtedly handled situations similar to yours many times and will probably be able to advise you on what to do if you contact them by mail, phone, or e-mail.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">